jeep timing question??

Micah Chambers

I have a 97 tj 4.0 that keeps losing fire. I have changed everything to do with fire all the way down to the ECM. This means wires plugs coil crank sensor cam sensor everything I know of and still it has no fire. When I changed the ECM it worked again for about a month and then one day would not fire and after about 10 minutes and a lot of steam :x I went to go start it and it fired right up! Then yesterday I went to go home after I drove it and no fire. My question is?? I changed the timing chain about 6 months ago and when I put it back together it ran like a lawn mower it was 180 out and instead of taking it all apart and moving the gears to the right position I reversed the wires from back to front and it fired up and ran great. Would this cause my problem?? And is there any way of seeing if my computer is bad? Such as some where I could take it and see if its ok?? I never had an issue until my timing chain jumped time and after this is when all has happened? I realize I need to change it to original and will do so but for me to know this is the problem I need it back running so when I do fix it back it will crank. Im just wondering if this could be causing my problem?

the cam sensor is going to be reading 180 out from the crank sensor so it might be causing your trouble

i have no idea. i wouldn't think it couldn't but i am no electrical engineer so we'll have to wait for someone smarter to show up

Ok I have moved the timing gears to fix it from being 180 out and still no fire. My crank sensor and cam sensors are new. Any ideas or cheaper way to check the ECM than 100 bucks at dealer?

I would try checkin every thing over again looking for any wiers showing see if anything failed on ya or burned out just to rule out the ecm. I had an ecm burn out from an oxygen sencer

Well lol kinda my falt I put a header on with out shorting the wiers and it got on the header and shorted out

Back