Jeep wont start in cold at all

CJDan

Have 4.2 and a brand new battery for my cj7 the 56 the correct battery to have. It will not start in cold at all...any ideas?

I have an interstate batter and yes all it does is turn over but it won't start at all, it struggles in the cold to start and the carb is hooked up correctly

does it crank over nice and fast or is it slowly turning the motor over? we are trying to isolate if its electrical or carb settings?

Not much info to go on here. My first bet would be carb.

Do you have the stock carter carb on it, or have you swapped in something else? Will it spark up with some starting fluid sprayed in the carb?

I had a similar issue in my old 350 card. A soon as the weather changed the carb had a hard time starting and a hard time staying started till the engine got heated a bit i would say its a carb/choke setting seeing that u have a new battery in. Just my opinion

i am having the same exact issue. Got the battery checked and its fine. alternators fine. Mine goes real slow to start. Ill have to hold the batter and itll crank for a long while. ill then turn it off . try it again and eventually the dashlights will go on and ill give it a little gas and youll hear this winey sound for about 5 secs and the car will go on. Never did this till the cold came.

Well the old timer pilot's would drain the oil and boil over a fire then pour back inn and the engine would be happy. I wouldn't suggest this method but if you have access to put a heater under your jeep for awhile im sure this would help. Good luck!

Well the old timer pilot's would drain the oil and boil over a fire then pour back inn and the engine would be happy. I wouldn't suggest this method but if you have access to put a heater under your jeep for awhile im sure this would help. Good luck!
Years ago, In the coldest part of the winter, I used to drain the oil when i got home from work and set it beside the wood stove till i got ready to go to work the next day. Todays engines start a lot easier than they did back then.

Back