Jeeps used in firefighting

Stalefishsk8er

Hey I just got voted into my local firehouse and I'm just wondering for brush units for companies around the country, do those companies use jeeps as brush units?

I have no idea, but I just wanted to say congratulations. That's awesome.

they have been used in the past, but generally they don't have the payload capacity to hold everything needed for a brush unit. My old station had a single cab long bed f-350 with the 6.8 v-10 triton motor. generally though, a diesel would be ideal because of the sprayers that can be mounted on the front to just drive over brush on fire since gasoline has a much lower flash point than diesel. it really depends on what your station prefers, and what they want to carry on it. The f350 we had had a 250 gallon tank, 30 gallon foam tank, 50 foot 5" ldh, an inch and a half attack line and an inch and 3/4 attack line, plus numerous hand tools and portable water cans/indian bags. here is a picture of it. I couldn't find any other pics showing whats in the bed.
image-missing.png

extra-medium said:
they have been used in the past, but generally they don't have the payload capacity to hold everything needed for a brush unit. My old station had a single cab long bed f-350 with the 6.8 v-10 triton motor. generally though, a diesel would be ideal because of the sprayers that can be mounted on the front to just drive over brush on fire since gasoline has a much lower flash point than diesel. it really depends on what your station prefers, and what they want to carry on it. The f350 we had had a 250 gallon tank, 30 gallon foam tank, 50 foot 5" ldh, an inch and a half attack line and an inch and 3/4 attack line, plus numerous hand tools and portable water cans/indian bags. here is a picture of it. I couldn't find any other pics showing whats in the bed.

My firehouse has an ford pickup late 70's early 80's as a brush unit and I think it's an f250 model not too sure but I'll check Monday before my orientation starts

good luck with everything. i miss the fire house. out here in utah where i am there aren't that many volunteer houses. where is your department at?

no shit! i was a volunteer in montgomery county until i moved to utah in 2007

Utah_jeepster said:
Tim thats "oh my heck" not "no sheet" gotta learn to speak utahian.....lol

Wouldn't it be "utian"? Or maybe "utahnite"? Utahian just sounds weird.

xm is right a TJ, YJ, CJ only have about a 250# payload so they really can't carry much equipment. That is not to say they haven't but they are not as useful as a 1 ton pickup or Hummer. There are lots of old CJ's that were used as fire apparatus.

Last edited:
Maybe one of the new 4 doors with half doors would be good after removing the back seat.

I for one am for the fire jeep but I wouldn't risk the consequences of having it not work. if it is a size issue than the new Jeep JK is what you want but if there are other aspects to the F-150 that a jeep doesn't have I wouldn't have safety suffer in order to have an awesome look.

Looks like there were quite a few fire Jeeps

Attachments

• 1960_CJ6_Fire_Truck.JPG
    1960_CJ6_Fire_Truck.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 955
  • 8379b361-5c3e-4d61-a3fd-56d1de3eb588.JPG
    8379b361-5c3e-4d61-a3fd-56d1de3eb588.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 426
  • CJ6FireJeep.jpg
    CJ6FireJeep.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 795
  • jeep_french_francois-chevestrier.jpg
    jeep_french_francois-chevestrier.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 2,127
  • 34277312.47Jeep.jpg
    34277312.47Jeep.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 1,374
  • KronenburgMB.jpg
    KronenburgMB.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 79.jpg
    79.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 266
  • MuseumFireJeeps.jpg
    MuseumFireJeeps.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 218
  • NorthstarPumping.jpg
    NorthstarPumping.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 357
Crete Illinois had a CJ5 up until a few years ago....I'm not sure if they still have it or not. Blue Lake Township in Muskegon Co. Mi. has an early "70s CJ5 that they use for a brush unit.

Back