Jerks in 1st. gear. Hunts, surges. Slow response to gas.

BrucePorter

97 Wrangler 4 Cyl. 5 spd.
It jerks when taking off, sometimes radically rocking back and forth unless you work the clutch and gass right. It is not the Fuel Pump, it was checked at the dealer. They also put a ODB 3 on it and said that there was no problem with the spark. They claimed that all 4 Cyl. Wranglers had the problem. There is no check engine light. If you slam on the gas, it takes 1/2 second for the engine to respond. I just bought it used and there was a problem with the power steering resevoir when I bought it. It had cracked and leaked oil around the compartment. The problem is in other gears as well and it probably has some missing to it. ???

Re: Free Speech

What size tires?

Can you take it back? it's not normal.

The tires are 31" and there is no lift kit. It is a Chrysler product... and '97 was the first year that they engineered coil springs into the rear of the vehicle. It is quite a mishmash of arms and bars back there. I also noticed that both of the shocks were mounted on the back of the axle and thought that once the shocks became fatigued, they might allow a rocking action to occure on the axle and thereby change the load on the engine and cause the radical jerking....

Negative on that. It shouldn't rock like that even if you take the shocks off. It will have more bounce to it. The "mish mash" of bars are called control arms and they solidly mount the axle under the Jeep. It's more sturdy than a leaf spring design.
It's hard to diagnose the problem without more info. You started off the post as if the problem was in the engine. The OBD scan tool only tells you if there are current codes in the computer. It won't give you a history like a true scantool will. I don't know if they are available for Jeeps, I'm more familiar wiht the GM ecm's. The GM unit will give you some history if you have the right program and laptop.
If you feel like it is in the driveline then start by checking the u-joints on the rear driveshaft. Then proceed to inspecting the rear diferential. If you bought it used it is a good idea to drain them anyway and put some fresh gear oil in there. Look to see if there is any evidence of unusual wear on the gears, chips, broken teeth, etc...
Keep us posted. There are lots of experienced Jeepers on here. We'll help you figure it out.

Identification of rear end?

Well, I now know what a control arm looks like. I took it to Chrysler-Jeep dealer and they used the ODB III which they said will do more than the ODB II. The ODB II would just provide codes when there was an engine check light but the III apparantly did check the spark etc. I also looked at the Toyota Service manual and indeed was surprised at the specialized equipment that they had to diagnose the engine. Their equipment was meant to look at a large array of sensors and do a complete diagnosis of the condition of the engine, something that is necessary for these computer controlled engines. I have the Haynes book for the Jeep and have ordered the Service manual, Service Manual update, and the Diagnostic Manual, all from Jeep (cost $133 delivered). I don't have them yet, so maybe I will learn more from them...
Wouldn't there be some chatter from bad U joints or differential problems? Maybe it needs a Jeep kit... (Box of 44s to dot the ee).

Bounty__Hunter,
not always, in my POS ford ranger work truck, the TPS went bad, but no check engine light, put a new TPS in and like brand new (or at least new as a ford can get)
BrucePorter,
go to a parts store (a REAL parts store, NOT the Zone, NEVER buy electrical parts from autozone) and buy a TPS, put it in and it that doesnt work, you went ahead and bout an electrical part from autozone b/c i PROMISE it is your TPS

Not to change topic here but can I ask why you don't buy eletrical parts from autozone? I have never had a problem at all. Wells it the brand they sell what's wrong with them?

derff96963,

Ill start off by saying i dont use the zone at all. i work at a Crow-Burlingame, which is also a parts store. I have a friend, and several aquatencies (sp) that work at the Zone, and they them selfes complain about how many electrical parts they warrenty. We also have several people every week that come in and have bought starters/alternators/ect at the Zone and have replaces several and give up and buy good parts that will last. I will be the first to admit our prices are SLIGHTLY higher, but we also offer a MUCH better product, but thats not just us, O'Reilley, and NAPA are quality run stores also for the most part.
(also for you Wal-Mart haters, Wallyworld owns a majority of the Zone)

That is just odd that you guys both say that. I have worked at autozone for over a year now. I rarely get anyone returning anything. If it wore out early chances are it was abused I have seen people do some insane things. I had someone once that had ruined 3 starters in about 4 months. it turns our they had modified thier truck and had four batteries in series meaning they had 48 volts going to the starter then he says the starter was junk???? I don't think anystarter would last long with that unless it was meant to. They only other time I get someone who wants to return a part is if it didn't solve thier problem which means that wasn't the part that was bad. Which bring me to another point about the warrantly. They just can't warranty to many parts. The reason is all state laws are different. In PA it is illegal to resell any used electrical parts for example and since autozone is everywhere they can't have different rules for different states. I just think you guys had some bad luck. Once I got a bearing from Napa that fell apart in my hand when I took it out of the plastic wrap. It looked brand new, I didnt stop going there bc of that.

I'll tell you a boo-boo on Napa, a Napa shop to be specific. I took my jeep there for them to do one of those "wonderful" diagnostic tests. They drove it into the bay, didn't even put it on the jacks, left it in there about 5 mintues, drove it back out and they told me I need a new transmission. I mean what the hell? They didn't even check the fluid let alone anything to do with the transmission. I know Farright and Bounty might have had bad luck with the zone, but this kind of luck I got was just plain crap. However I don't go to the zone, due to the lack of their employees experience with automobiles, at least the store closest to me.

I have to agree. I dont shop at autozone unless they the only place open (in my home town its the only store open late and on sundays). Between the employess that cant tell their butt from a transmission and bad luck in the family with some of their parts (yes, electrical ones) i just wont do it.

Just my preference though.

Nathan

I am going to guesstimate that it is your TPS sensor. Locate the sensor, take it to Autozone, and have them check it for you. If it turns out to be bad, go ahead and have it replaced. If you want a good part that should last you for a while, BUT, with not as much warranty, then go and but the part at O'reilleys or one of those other parts stores. If you want to have the option of returning it with no hassle, then stick with the zone. These gentlement are correct about the lowered quality of autoparts. I have literally swapped out dozens of starters, alternators, and other parts in the several cars I have had. They are simply not very good parts, but they do not mind taking their crap back, soI stick with them. If you buy stuff at NAPA or oreileys, they will give you a very hard time any time you want to return something, and are a bit more expensive. I usually go with the dealer when it comes to parts that I have to have a mechanic install. If I can do it, and it is an easy fix, then I will stick with AZ.-al

NAPA or oreileys, they will give you a very hard time any time you want to return something

now i dont work at either one of these places, but i will tell you how to get better deals, and return stuff easier, you need to go to ONE store first, always, and just sit around and make friends with the people in the store, b/c I promise I can help you out a little more if I want to 98% of the time

I can totally agree to that man. There is nothing better than walking into a parts store and they know your name and EXACTLY what you drive.

True, having friends never hurts anybody, but to tell you the truth, I already have the realtionship at AZ. I'm the guy that all my friends call whenever their car is having problems. So, when I diagnose the problem, I will usually drive down to AZ, and get the parts there. They have seen me purchase so my different parts for so many different cars, that everytime I walk in there, the guys ask me who's car I'm working on now? AZ people in my town are very nice, and helpful. Ofcourse you have the idiots that don't know much in there too, but I know exactly who to ask what. After all, they are not suppose to be mechanics, they are sales people, but they often do pretend to be mechanics. I owe those guys a lot of thanks. Everytime I've been stuck on a problem, somebody has the answer.-al

Back