JK D30 axle paranoia

I have a new 09 JK running 35" tires, 3" lift, 4.88 gears, and selectable lockers f&r. I've read so many posts that talk both good and bad about the d30... I wasn't satisfied with the arguments on either side... so I decided to start another one
tongue-2.gif
I know some improvements were made with the next gens in the JK's. I dont know if they would compensate for my setup or not though... Id like to do chromolys in the future, but its not in the budget right now. I baby my jeep and my biggest fear on the trail is breaking stuff, I take the easier lines, wheel for the scenery, but still end up on some 5-8 trails... nothing too extreme on the easy lines, but my paranoia of breakage has me worried that they are too fragile for even that. Any input would be awesome. thanks guys.

hey, cant really help u out, but i would love to see a pic of your jeep. sounss like a nice setup, not a big fan of stock jks, but i will be the first to say a modded one looks awesome:)

There has been some concern over Dana 30's running tires over 33 inches. I ran my Dana 30 with 35's over 7 years on some of the hardest trails in the south west. Wore out several U-Joints along the way but no complaints.
Run it till you break it then replace it. No reason to spend the money now till you finally wear it out unless your planning on making some serious motor/ transmission modifications. Your 6 cyl. isn't going to produce enough torque for you to worry about snapping axle shafts unless you start hopping it on rocks to the point your getting some serious air time.

Thanks utah... hearing accounts of some hard trail use on a d30 for 7 years with no major problems makes me feel better... ive got lockers front and rear... if im bouncing i have no business being there. i kinda felt like as long as i am easy on the skinny pedal ill be alright, but i always worry too much...

As said, take it easy on the skinny pedal offroad and you should be just fine.

I think the Mopar JK d44 is only around $1200, may be something to check out.

Back