Jku death wobble

medic06

K friends I'm in need of help. My wife's 2010 jku sport has acquired a death wobble. I have taken it to the Firestone 3 different times and they can't find a single thing wrong. After reading that usually is fixed with a new drag link I replaced it without success. It has a 3" lift but other than that stock. Ball joints seem tight no slack. Also no slack can be found in control arm bushings or tie rod ends. I'm at a loss. I don't want to just buy parts and throw at it. And believe me it is death wobble and not bump steer. I find it happens worse if hit a pot hole in a slight right hand curve at 60 mph or above. Then have to almost slow to a stop before it stops jerking side to side. Any help will be appreciated especially since my wife drives this!

Has anyone used the rough country adj track bar? Pros or cons. For a jeep that will ever rarely leave the asphalt seems a good price. And hoping recenter the axle will be a start in the right direction to fix this wobble. Because I have been unable to locate any slack in any of the components I checked.

If your not offloading many track bars will work. Do a dry steering test to locate other worn parts. Do this by having someone turn the steering wheel full turn to full turn with the engine off, while you inspect front end components for movement.

http://www.ruggedridge.com/hd-tie-rod-drag-link-kit-84-06-jeep-cj-wrangler.html This is what I used to upgrade my steering when I started getting a death wobble, but I did a lot of offroading. I had play in my drag link. After placing my LJ on jack stands, I could take hold of the drag link and wobble it with a twist of my wrist. Should be firm. I feel that this kit tightened things up nicely. *don't forget the pickle forks if you decide to change these out. I hated breaking those ends loose. Blah.

Put new drag link on both ends. New track bar ordered. And ball joints I'm replacing this week when they come in. God help me if this don't fix it I'm going to burn it. Only has 29500 miles! I've never had this problem in my tj!

You mean tie rid ends?
Was all of that bad? If so be sure to check your control arm bushings.

The drag link had a minute amount of play at the right knuckle. So while it was off I went ahead and put a new end at the pitman arm. No the track bar wasn't bent or have play but I got the adjustable so I could center the axle. And I do have a small amount of play in right lower ball joint so I'm replacing them all. I've become real discouraged about that JK of hers. But we will see. All parts should be here by Thursday and I'll be on it all day. Fingers crossed! The wobble is steady getting worse and worse! Soon if this doesn't work I'll have to make her park it.

Just punched ye ole time card. Headed home to get started on some ball joints. Wish me luck!

I replaced a ball joint that was causing death wobble. I couldn't see any play in it, but when grabbing the wheel at 12 and 6 and wiggling hard I could feel it move very slightly. That tiny amount of movement was causing huge death wobble.

Hardest ball joint replacement I've ever tackled! Ended up having play in both lowers. Back together and so far so good. Fingers crossed!

Back