Just back from Iraq, and lookin to put some mone into my Jeep.\

Cadra

Since im brand new here let me introduce myself. Im an Airborne Infantryman stationed in Anchorage Alaska. Just got back from Iraq and I have saved up some significant spending money while i was over there. I was an entry level mechanic straight out of high school befor joining the army, so I know my way around a vehicle a little bit. Jus enough to get me in trouble basicly.

I have a 97 Jeep Wrangler. Its a 4 banger 5 speed, Now, I don't want this to be another "which is better" kind of post. OR start some huge debate. But I am looking for opinions, and to decide if im better off buying a new jeep or building this one. This Jeep has seen some pretty good offroading in Alaska where im stationed. Ive sunk it to the windshield in a riverbed, and nearly rolled it off a mountain.

So heres the run down. Im pretty sure I have a Dana 30 up front and a 35 in the rear. Im debating on swapping the lump for a 4.0, or 4.5 stroker. Maybe a stock v8, as im not sure about the reliabity of the stroker. I do Understand that the axles will need upgrading, with a lift and much stronger motor. And that I will need a high capacity radiator, and a converion kit for most v8s. Along with alot of unforeseen expenses.

My main concern at the moment, is im not sure what the power rating for the manual transmission is. And I don't know what transfer case I have. And im not sure about exact tolerances, gear ratios, and that sort of thing.

Other than that im kind of looking for referals to good resources and engine/axle builder and that kinda stuff. Im pretty much in a brainstorming phase at this momment.

Any help would be much appriciated guys thanks.

Welcome to Jeepz.com!

This has been debated before, and the aurgument "should I go from a 4 to a 6" usually means that you should just buy a new Jeep with a 6 in it. Since the TJs never came with an 8, you're going to have to swap it yourself if you want to go from a 4 to an 8.

I'll let some of the more experienced guys chime in, but here is another thread along the same lines:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21592

If you're swapping the engine, just put a new transmission in with it. There are multiple adapters to adapt the transfer case to the transmission, but the AX-5 is not up to the power of a V8. In fact, I don't know of a V8 that shares that bellhousing bolt pattern

Here is some reading regarding Ford 5.0 swaps:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45309&highlight=mustang+lincoln

Chevy 350:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36451&highlight=suburban
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365293 (no I didn't actually go to JU, it was linked on Pirate)

Sell the Jeep you have and get a good price and then buy a good used Rubicon---with all the upgrades already done---or buy somebody's project that they have already lost interest in, (and already invested lots of money in) You will be way ahead!

Sit down with a good Jeep catalog and start pricing parts---ARB or OX lockers gears Axle shafts, motor, trans. It never ends. A Rubicon, Sahara, or Sport Jeep with a Dana 44 and 4.0 will be a better start.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KyS9A3jbwLM
When the time comes for my engine swap I'll be putting a diesel in I think. Only problem is i have no clue where to find one. One of the guys from my local club knows the guy who owns this comanche and this is what he had to say about it.

"He installed a 4 cylinder turbo 4BTA Cummins from a bread truck hooked to a 4500 5 speed and tranfer case from a Dodge one ton. He said it gets high 30s mpg driving it easy, high 20s mpg hard driving and 20 mpg towing 7 thousand pounds."

Sell the Jeep you have and get a good price and then buy a good used Rubicon---with all the upgrades already done---or buy somebody's project that they have already lost interest in, (and already invested lots of money in) You will be way ahead!

Sit down with a good Jeep catalog and start pricing parts---ARB or OX lockers gears Axle shafts, motor, trans. It never ends. A Rubicon, Sahara, or Sport Jeep with a Dana 44 and 4.0 will be a better start.

I think I will start with a used Rubicon. A lot less headache.

Thanks for the links and input.

I think I will start with a used Rubicon. A lot less headache.

Thanks for the links and input.

Probably a much better starting point. It'll cause you less aggravation and you'll be able to get out and wheeling quicker.

Throw a long arm kit on it, some alloy shafts up front, 35's and call it good. Maybe regear the axles too.

If it were me, I'd keep the 4 cyl. You could mod it and gear it to suit your needs/tires.

But it sounds like you want more power. Understandable.

SO, I'd say if you can live with about 200 or so horsepower, get rid of the Jeep and buy one with a 4.0L. If you want V8 power keep the one you have and swap in a motor, trans, and rear axle.

I think we need a little more info on what he wants to do with his rig and how much of a mechanic he is. We all seem to be giving advice based on what we think he might be doing with it.

Thanks for serving and welcome home. If you were at Ft. Bragg anytime from 97-02, I just may have packed one of your chutes!

Back