K&N air filters - When to clean?

cewtwo

Hey all, I have a K&N FIPK air system on the mighty YJ.

When should they be cleaned? The manufacturer says to clean it when it is dirty. Periodicals like 4 Wheel & Off Road Magazine say to keep it clean. Other wheelers say that it runs best when it is not absolutely clean.

What is your opinion?

Air2-4.jpg

Air1-4.jpg

Try to keep it clean..Every 3-4 months. or everytime you go muddin

Anyone have the Fram air-hog or whatever? I've wondered how they hold up compared to the K&N, I really like Fram's other products.

RE: Dealership is trying to pull one over

That one looks like it could use some cleaning. Follow the directions on the botlle which basically say don't use pressure to clean or you will mess up the cotton element. Other filters use paper which is why you cannot wash them.
The guys that say they run better when they are not clean, are probably shooting them with too much oil. If you have a Mass Air Meter (the sensor right before the intake) like on a newer Chevy fuel injected motor, then it is possible to get oil on the sensor. It will alter teh readings to the computer and run poorly until it dries up.
I have noticed in the past that a TBI or carbed engine runs better when it has fresh oil on the filter.
I can't recall if the 4.0 has a mass air meter or nay sensors before the intake.

it is complete nonsense for anyone to think that a filter works best when it is not clean

X2 on Snitty and TC. The one in the pic needs cleaned REAL bad!!! Clean it when it's dirty.......common sense.

RE: A recent trail inciDENT

Sacredgroove said:
should you oil a K&N when you first get one too?

Yes, a brand new one will be clean with no oil on it. It needs to be oiled.

RE: Re: RE: So Fantasy Football guys...

88Wrangles said:
Sacredgroove said:

not sure about the cone filters, but the 2 K&N panel filters i've purchased have been plastic-wrapped and the box says "pre-oiled".....

dingus said:
88Wrangles said:
Sacredgroove said:

not sure about the cone filters, but the 2 K&N panel filters i've purchased have been plastic-wrapped and the box says "pre-oiled".....

Oh, well nevermind then :oops: . All the ones I've bought have just been dry and in a cardboard box...just like how a regular paper filter comes.

Back