Knocking/clicking sound on launch...

Sine Deviance

It's a '95 YJ Rio Grande, 4-cyl/5-speed, 2" Black Diamond lift, 31" BFG A/T's.

When I launch from a standstill I get this clicking/knocking sound until I hit about 5mph or so. It SOUNDS like one of the rear u-joints tapping a piece of the suspension as it turns, think of it like a playing card in a bike's spokes, but I know for fact that the u-joints aren't hitting anything. After I hit 5mph or so and start getting up to speed the noise goes away and everything is normal. The Jeep seems to drive and ride normal, I'm not getting any excessive vibration.

It does pull to the side a little, can't remember if it pulls left or right off-hand, but I think that's just wheel misalignment from offroading. Could be caused by some mud stuck in the wheel throwing it out of balance too... sometimes it's hard to wash it all out. It could also just be the fact that most of the roads here are banked to allow water runoff so it's naturally going to pull in whatever direction the grade is.

I think the clicking is probably okay since nothing seems to be broken. Any ideas what it is, and if it's harmful?

Last edited:

It's important to get all the mud off. Mud dries and becomes like sandpaper and will grind up seals on axles, bearings, ujoints, etc.

Check your front outer u-joints on the front axle and see what they look like. I had a bad one and it caused a pull to one side.

Back