Late Build CJ-5?

FLynes

Hi all,

I just recently bought my first Jeep. It's a bit of a Frankenstein: 72-75 frame and 78 body. I originally thought the engine might be an '82, but looking at some of the decoders online, I'm thinking it might be the original '78. The code on the engine block is 204C20...2bbl carb, April 20th, 1978? I'm not sure what type of Carter is on there now.

Here's my puzzle: I've researched the firewall aluminum tag to death, but what I've come up with gives me 1979 answers, not 1978. The only thing that confirms it as a 1978 is the VIN. The paint code and trim code are 1979, though. Here is the tag:

J381189
24 9A 6CKP
J8F83AA152117 8300

The paint code 9A breaks out to Alpaca Brown Metallic for 1979. The Jeep is right now spraypainted black. I scraped down and found it had been blue at one time, but I then found the Alpaca Brown Metallic on parts of the firewall, so that's confirmed.

The trim code 6CKP, near as I can figure, breaks out to Tan Levi's Denim, vinyl bucket seats. I had to piece the 1978 and 1979 codes together to get that, because the code doesn't exist, according to the decoders I have.

My research has been exhaustive and relatively fruitless. I thought there would be more info on CJ's, but it's proving not to be the case.

Anyone else have a weird firewall tag like mine?

Sorry for the long first post, but as you get to know me, you'll see that I get a bit OCD with subjects I'm passionate about. My goal is to become as knowledgeable as possible, in order to eventually help others with their answers.

On edit: I just took some pics...here they are. Also found out that the Carter is a BBD...I've heard not so good things about these carbs. Were these used on '78's? There is no stepper motor on the back of the carb.

Attachments

• 1978 CJ5 001.JPG
    1978 CJ5 001.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 563
  • 1978 CJ5 002.JPG
    1978 CJ5 002.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 483
  • 1978 CJ5 006.JPG
    1978 CJ5 006.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 3,164
  • 1978 CJ5 003.JPG
    1978 CJ5 003.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 238
  • 1978 CJ5 004.JPG
    1978 CJ5 004.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 1,077
Last edited:

50 views and no answers?

I figured someone besides me would own a 1978 CJ-5!

Okay, so with no answers, I've done more research and come up with some answers.

1) This Jeep was born as a Golden Eagle. It has the tach, the clock, and on scraping down some of the paint on the hood, I found the "g". It sure doesn't look like it did, when it was new, though.

2) I decided to tackle the vacuum lines and properly plug the ports that weren't used. I also replaced the power drum brake booster valve. Looks much better now.

3) The transmission and transfer case were screeching like banshees, when I would put them in gear. Today I popped the lid off the T-150 and found ugliness...there was practically no oil in it and a milky-looking residue, a sure sign that moisture had gotten in at some point. I flushed the case out real good and cleaned the gears with carb cleaner, then filled that case up with 80W90...same with transfer case. Result was no more screeching, but the bad news is that I don't have 1st gear....it grinds, when I try to engage the clutch, so I'm guessing synchro's are no good. 2nd, 3rd and Reverse work, though.
I also greased all of the zirc fittings, while I was under there.

4) According to the VIN, I should have a 1bbl YF carburetor. What I have is a 2bbl BBD. Also, the plastic valve cover tells me that the code on the side of the engine block, "204C020", means that it's a 1982 engine.

So, the name "Frankenstein" is pretty applicable to this CJ-5.

I love this thing!!!

Hopefully some CJ guys will chime in and say something.

Last edited:
Ok....just so you know, this forum generally work as follows: You - Ask specific question. Us - Reply with either direct answer, or off-topic rant about something mildly related to what you talking about. I've only been here a short while and have learned more than I would have ever expected. If you don't get an answer straight up, then no one knows, or has seen it. Most of the folk on here are more than willing to chime in if they know, or have "heard from a guy". As far as the O.C.D. goes, we all have it. I wonder if 1st gear syncro is just dry. Have you tried to drive it a little after the fluid change? Might help to take it for a spin. Later

I got nothing, but your extensive research is impressive nonetheless! Are you planning on restoring it to a Golden Eagle?

Thanks for the replies!

bobcat, I did drive it around for a while, after I changed the fluid out...maybe it will just take a bit more time, but I somehow doubt it. I'm on the hunt for clutch linkage now, as mine gave out yesterday evening.

Mooseknuckles, the plan is to eventually put it back to the way it looked, when it rolled off the assemby line, but that's years down the road...right now, I just want to get it reliable and drive the hell out of it.

I just checked the vin tag on my '78. The jeep is currently in pieces waiting for a new body so I had to find the tag in the pile'o'parts(but that's another story. My paint code shows Pewter Gray ala 1977. I know the frame was built in june of '77. As with most things Jeep especially AMC era there was a lot of year to year overlap & mid year changes. I've found the tag codes to be more of a guideline than gospel.;) Anyway welcome to the world of Jeeps & good lick with your project. I like the idea of getting it running & having fun while working towads the ultimate goal.

Back