lift/stretch?

robo83

i have a '93 yj that has 6 inch susp and 2 inch body, i want to do a spring over but if i do i need to do something so that the rear drive shaft is not a a crazy angle. my options are stretch it or get some kind of drop transfer case type of thing. oh and ill have to get new shocks and all right?

I run a SOA with relatively stock spring packs and no stretch or transfer case drop. I did invest in the super short SYE kit which allows the longest rear driveshaft possible.

A SOA with stock springs is 5.5" or 6" of lift, so the rear driveshaft angles shouldn't be any different than your current SUA 6" lift.

Also consider installing TJ fender flares for more tire clearance, you can run less lift and keep your center of gravity lower. Your current 8" of lift is a bit excessive for 33" tires.

i want to add the spring over to my 8 inch now. but my driveshaft as it sits now is at such an angle that we had to tilt the back axle and i forgot to update my profile i now have 35" BFG mud terrains, love them.

You are looking at 13+ inches of lift and I would def recommend a stretch as well as full width axles. What size tire are you planning on running because at that height you could easily clear 44s.

You are looking at 13+ inches of lift and I would def recommend a stretch as well as full width axles. What size tire are you planning on running because at that height you could easily clear 44s.

x2. That is going to be REALLY high.

I have a friend who has a TJ that is lifted 6.5" on 37's with no body lift, and that thing is scary when it is off camber.

I personally wouldn't go anywhere near that high, but if you really want to, you will definitely want full widths and a longer wheel base not only to quell driveline issues, but to "somewhat" counter your COG being so high. JMO.

Last edited:
what i might do since my jeep has 4 inch springs, 2 inch shackles and a 2 inch body is put normal shackles back on so im back down to 6 inches of lift and maybe cut the body down an inch so im at 5 inches and then do a spring over for a total of 10 inches. that might be the little bit safer route to take.

Holy big lift batman.

what you are proposing will

1. be unsafe
2. look stupid

and soa on a lift spring over 1-1.5" will be prone to horrible axle wrap

not trying to seem mad just asking but how would 4 inch susp. and 1 inch body be unsafe and look bad?

and i know that spring overs are more prone to axle wrap but thats what track bars are for arent they?

the safety issue comes into play in two ways in my mind.

1, just the shear height versus wheel base will make manuverabiility at speed a little hairy.

2. your steering will be a joke unless you go full hydraulic. jeeps with only 4" spring under lift experience bump steer pretty bad, now your adding another 5.5" of seperation to the steering box and the axle, you tie rod angle will be nearly 45*.

and looks, in my opinion, it will just look stupid. you currently have 8" of lift with 35" tires, to me that looks a little disproportional, So my opinion of a jeep looking like some southern mud buggy is foolish and looks stupid. But I have 3" of lift and 36" tires on my YJ so I guess I am biased.

not trying to seem mad just asking but how would 4 inch susp. and 1 inch body be unsafe and look bad?

and i know that spring overs are more prone to axle wrap but thats what track bars are for arent they?

If it were only 4" suspension and 1" body it wouldn't look bad and would ride fine but add to that the extra 5.5" you get with the SOA and you're at over 10". A bit much for a 94" wheelbase jeep.

jps4jeep, how do you only have 3 inches with 36's? i have 8 and i would barely be able to clear 37's

Back