Lifting ideas please??

freedomfly

ok, so i am new at this.. actually i just bought my jeep last week. It is a 1993 wrangler. I want to run 33" tires on it but i don't know what kind of lift to put on it. Help me if you can.

Really depends on the application. If you want to go budget, you can get a 2" spacer lift and a 1" body lift and should be able to sport some 33s, but if you want a suspension lift, you are looking at something closer to a 4" lift. Just my two cents for what they are worth. Decide on your intended use, then budget and you will be able to roll around on those 33s before you know it.

'93 is a YJ with leaf springs, spacer lift is for '97+ TJ's with coil springs.

Consider either a 4" spring lift, or a SOA conversion (spring over axle). A 4" spring kit is usually pretty complete, the SOA requires sourcing your own parts and having welding done.

Keep in mind that with the 4" suspension lift you may also need: a SYE (slip yolk eliminator) for the transmission, custom length drive shafts, extended brake lines (if not included in suspension lift kit), dropped pitman arm (if not included in kit), and consider upgrading your axles (not required). If yours is a manual transmission, you may also need to trim away some of the metal coverplate at the shifter so that you can shift into gear easier after the lift. Some Jeepers install a 4" lift kit and don't install the SYE; it depends on your budget and the outcome of the driveability after the lift kit install as to whether or not you need a SYE. I've got a '93 Wrangler and installed a 2.5" lift kit with no real problems. Hopefully your install will go the same.

look at the 4" rubicon express kit. we install a lot of them and in my opinion the are worth the money. as for the sye and new drive shaft i would say its a must.

If yours is a manual transmission, you may also need to trim away some of the metal coverplate at the shifter so that you can shift into gear easier after the lift.

If no body lift is done, you should not need to trim this... This applies to BL only, as far as I know... But I have been wrong before!

Keep in mind that with the 4" suspension lift you may also need: a SYE (slip yolk eliminator) for the transmission, custom length drive shafts, extended brake lines (if not included in suspension lift kit), dropped pitman arm (if not included in kit), and consider upgrading your axles (not required).

look at the 4" rubicon express kit. we install a lot of them and in my opinion the are worth the money. as for the sye and new drive shaft i would say its a must.

I second the recommendation; do the SYE and CV drive shaft at the same time. And I highly recommend the RE 4" lift. If you do get this lift, keep in mind that you will still need: the SYE, new CV shaft, Dropped Pitman Arm, rerouting the front brake lines or getting new longer ones (the kit comes with the rear line; the front you can get away with re-routing them through the inside of the frame also), rerouting the front axle disconnect vacuum line and sensor lines (they can become disconnected when the suspension is extended; no need to buy anything for this), and I would also suggest greasable shackles (with boomerangs for the rear). I am a rookie mechanic (I started learning with my current Jeep, and even so, I could do all this by myself in my garage over a weekend, with the exception of removing the D35's spring perches and welding new spring perches to adjust the axle angle for the CV shaft.

I tried runing the Jeep without the SYE and CV shaft, and the Jeep felt like a paint shaker at any speed above 5 mph!

Oh, and 4" of lift will clear 33's with no problem. Just keep in mind that the ride will be a bit rougher than stock because the leaf springs are more arched (if you go SOA, it will be more work for you, but the stock ride is maintained and the Jeep will flex better, so it is up to you and what you want the Jeep to do).

Felipe

jfrabat, you're right about the bodylift and trimming.... not sure where my mind was when i wrote that. good suggestion about the SOA. no better time to start being a rookie mechanic, right?

Back