Lockers and gears

I'm going to have to go to 4.10 with the 32's cause it's going to be way to sluggish on the highway, so thats a must and as for the D35 being crap I hear it alot but for the people who haven't upgraded to a different axle alot of them say the D35 holds up great! I'm thinking detroit trutrac LSD in the rear with 4.10 gears and front d30 Aussie locker seeing as the price is great on those and people have never had a problem with them and if I do 4.10's in the rear do I have to do 4.10's in the front?

Yea both have to match... make sure you keep up with the tag for your gears.... the metal strap looking thing bolted to the differential

wasnt that much effort about 10 mins of looking.I am currently running a D35 rear axle and have not had issues yet but i do hear noises coming from it once in a while.i use the jeep as a DD and trail/mud toy.I dont think this axle will stand up to rock trails,i would not spend any money on a d35 other than brakes and seals,better off spending the money on a stronger rear diff

That's another thing if I go to 32 inch tires and have a 4.0L Auto with i be alright? I'm not sure anymore what gears I have because I read somewhere that the auto has 3.55 so I'm not sure anymore. But with the auto 4.0L how would it be turning the 32's? Cause if I save money instead of buying 4.10's the when I have enough I'll just get a new axle.

Ok, I'm picking up the 32's tomorrow and I'm going to buy an after cat exhaust at some point, I already have an air intake so that kicks up the power of turning the wheels :)

good luck with the jeep i work on mine all winter just to play with it in the spring and summer drive it here and therre in the winter but not to much when i put the bigger tires on i went to 4.88's

TheGhost45 said:
Ok, I'm picking up the 32's tomorrow and I'm going to buy an after cat exhaust at some point, I already have an air intake so that kicks up the power of turning the wheels :)

Honestly if you really wanna know what I think and yes I am probably gonna catch flak for this but if all you are gonna run is up to 33's you don't need anything bigger than a Dana 35 !!! I have been running 36.5 inch bias Buckshots on mine for 6 months with nothing bad happening .... And I put my TJ through hell and back twice!!!!!!! The 35 I'd much stronger than most people think and with alloy shafts it can hold up to 36 inch tires!!!!!! I know because I have seen it!!!! The 35 is fine if I was you I would spend the money for an 8.8 on something like skid plates or a winch if you don't have one!!! And oh yeah if u do buy the 8.8 they sell minispools on eBay for like 10 bucks I just bought one for my 9 inch I am building .... Whatever you do I hope it turns out awesome !!!!

Rubiconrich said:
The Dana 35 is junk, plan and simple.

I'm sorry but I am Goin to have to disagree with you, the thirty five gets a bad rep all the time and the truth is that it's a good rear end and can be built to be pretty strong. For unless running larger than 35 inch tires in my opinion the 35 will be fine. Like I said I have seen what the 35 is capable of handling and it's pretty impressive. Just my .02

If you wanna do it cheap and you don't trust your mechanical abilities, buy a set of 4 cyl axles, they have the 4.10s. Most people who do driveline swaps practically give them away. Save your old axles then if anything breaks youve got spare parts. I ran a d35 and d30 with a locker in the rear and 31s for one year and never broke anything, but that was with a 258 and 3.07 gears. With a 4.0 litre and 4.10s you will have about 50% more torque at the axle shafts than i did.

I've seen 3 Dana 35's blow up in front of my eyes and never a Dana 44 blow up.Why waste $ on a Dana 35.

I dont know about where you live but around here where I live its not easy to find an 8.8 and when you do it cost. It is just as easy to do a 9 inch or even a 60 but i doubt he wants to do either, a 8.8 is only a hair stronger than a 35 with superior axles anyways.

rdtj said:
I dont know about where you live but around here where I live its not easy to find an 8.8 and when you do it cost. It is just as easy to do a 9 inch or even a 60 but i doubt he wants to do either, a 8.8 is only a hair stronger than a 35 with superior axles anyways.

My ass it compares to a 44 and then add a super kit to it they wont break

I just upgraded my Dana 30 and 35 to Dana 44's. I ran the 30/35 set with 32's for several years. I carried parts and did Tellico. I broke nothing and climbed Guardrail and Helicopter Pad.
I upgraded when I went to 35's. I also added a 6" long arm kit from BDS and added 4 total inches to wheelbase. This increased approach and departure angles as well.
If you can afford it, go with 44's from a late 70's or early 80's J10 truck. The bolt pattern is 6 lug, the shafts are beefier, and the trucks are fairly easy to find.
Any questions Pm me and I will answer. Also, Aussie makes a great locker. Mine survived Tellico in NC. A true test!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeepkid46 said:
My ass it compares to a 44 and then add a super kit to it they wont break

Rubicon 44s are a good axles also but then again if you can find one whoever has it is extremely proud of it!!!

The ford 8.8 is 31 spline it's much stronger then a stock 35 he's right it's up there with the Dana 44's and some claim to be stronger then 44's I would love a ford 9 inch in the rear unfortunately being 18 and working part time the wallet does not allow itself to be opened to such costs, so I have bought 32 inch BFG mt km1's mounted on 17" Moab wheels off a guy with a 2007 rubicon who upgraded to 37" swampers so I think I'm going to run my D35 and D30 with the 3.07's for a while until I have enough money for an axle, unless I decide 4.10's and then go up to 33's I figure if the D35 breaks I'll pull the axle and go to a dealership late at night and pull a ford 9" haha kidding guys I'm not a hoodlum :) but if the D35 breaks during my adventures replace it with the 8.8 afterall isn't that what we do as jeepers? Run what we have and if it breaks replace it with something stronger. Right? :)

Really not a fan of Lock rights but if your on a budget and running only 32" tires This would probably be your best bet. If you were a serious offroader running large meats detroit or ARB's are a great setup! I'm running narrowed 44 axles in my 73cj5. 4:09 gears in the front and 4:10 gears in the rear with Arb's. I've Really enjoyed this setup.

Back