Longer Drive shaft?

Tyler Bates

So when my pinion is set to where I think it should be the drive shaft is to short, which I was told would happen so my question is If my drive shaft was longer would that eliminate the need for a SYE if so ho would I measure to make sure it would not slip in to much but also not come out?

You may exceed the proper operating angles of the ujoints if you are trying to run without a SYE and without a transfer case drop.

The slipyoke should have a mark on the outside where the output seal rides to give you an idea of where it was in stock location.

You may exceed the proper operating angles of the ujoints if you are trying to run without a SYE and without a transfer case drop.

The slipyoke should have a mark on the outside where the output seal rides to give you an idea of where it was in stock location.

I have a transfer case drop Im basically just trying to make something work without putting more money into these axles because new axles are in the future would just like to get by for the summer if at all possible

I have a transfer case drop Im basically just trying to make something work without putting more money into these axles because new axles are in the future would just like to get by for the summer if at all possible
I understand. It can get a little pricey to lengthen a driveshaft as it requires a new tube, and price varies depending on the price of steel. Take a look at other YJ's with different drivetrains as the rear driveshafts varied across the Wrangler model.

I've got some YJ driveshafts and may have what you need. Install your stock driveshaft and tell me how much silver is exposed on the slipyoke where you can tell it is pulled out of the transfer case tailhousing. Also measure your driveshaft 'center of ujoint' to 'center of ujoint'.

Also keep in mind that the rear axle pinion should not be pointing at the transfer case output, it should be down from there, parallel with the transfer case output.

I understand. It can get a little pricey to lengthen a driveshaft as it requires a new tube, and price varies depending on the price of steel. Take a look at other YJ's with different drivetrains as the rear driveshafts varied across the Wrangler model.

I've got some YJ driveshafts and may have what you need. Install your stock driveshaft and tell me how much silver is exposed on the slipyoke where you can tell it is pulled out of the transfer case tailhousing. Also measure your driveshaft 'center of ujoint' to 'center of ujoint'.

Also keep in mind that the rear axle pinion should not be pointing at the transfer case output, it should be down from there, parallel with the transfer case output.

My pinion is set pretty close to how you said and just sitting normal my slip yoke has about two and a half inches showing and u joint to u joint is about 15 and a half inches and just normal road driving my slip yoke slips all the way out of the tail shaft

Back