Look what followed me home (Ford 8.8 axle)

Thanks Jesse. I plan on using some thread locker on the bolts too.

Bounty, after re-reading what I originally asked I totally get what you mean. You are correct, I'm asking if some grade 8.8 bolts will work to bolt the adapter to my 8.8 rear end.

I'm about to bolt this thing in - I'm just waiting on a clutch pack to rebuild the LSD. Hopefully I'll be done withing two weeks.

Last edited:
Hey no prob. Hope it goes good. The best LSD is a welder lol jk. But seriously the fords is way better than the trac loc for reliabilty. My 2 years at ford I did like two. My 10 years at Chrysler I do 2 a week

I don't mind throwing $100 at the rear LSD to see how it goes - I'd like the experience working on it. I bought the upgraded (m-4700-c) kit that they use in the cobras, which includes a new spring. I'm hoping it will hold up better.

I don't expect the LSD to last long offroad, but I thought I'd at least give it a try before getting a locker.

I just replace the clutch packs last night - not too hard to do. I have a question though - the pack I pulled out was completely smooth to the touch, while the new carbon clutch pack has definite groove patterns.

Were the old clutches completely shot, or do they not need to have any groove patterns that I can feel to work. It would make me feel better to know that what I swapped out was no good.

Old:
IMG_1553-ford-clutch-pack-axle.JPG

New:
IMG_1531-ford-clutch-pack-axle.JPG

Oh yeah, the old ones are definitely shot.

TerryMason said:
I just replace the clutch packs last night - not too hard to do. I have a question though - the pack I pulled out was completely smooth to the touch, while the new carbon clutch pack has definite groove patterns.

Were the old clutches completely shot, or do they not need to have any groove patterns that I can feel to work. It would make me feel better to know that what I swapped out was no good.

Old:

New:

Yup they were toast. The grooved material is the clutch material. Once it's gone they will just spin freely and get your diff fluid all nice and metallic.

Back