looking at a 1987 yj

WODGES

Hey guys, I found a 1987 YJ with a 139,000 miles. It does not have the front driveshaft, the owner said his uncle pulled it off for towing and lost it. The slave cylinder on the transmission needs to be replaced, still able to be driven at this time. The body has no rust and the original paint. The interior is pretty good shape. I have a 1982 chevy 350 with a turbo 350 automatic sitting in a big box truck I'm going to scrap out. The 350 and trans was rebuilt less than 10,000 miles ago. The seller wants $2,500. what do you think. I have a 95 cherokee the I love and am thinking of selling my 2006 ford crew so the jeep would be great.

i would buy it in a heartbeat, for 2500....well, what engine is in it first. i would buy it in a heartbeat if it had a 6 cylinder but if you are going to go straight into a motor swap, then it would be fine no matter what.

i have an 87 with a 6 cylinder and love it

Is there anything I should be looking for with this model and year that would be a red flag. the jeep has the half with rear window and bed/back cover over the rear seat.

Get it! And put the 350 in the jeep. Assuming it's in good condition.

The jeep body is excellant and I rebuilt the 350 with the help of a good friend (mechanic with a machine shop), real strong. The transmission was rebuilt at he same time but it is an automatic, might be nice. all commoming out of a chevy c30 1 ton van front

Have you considered what transfer case you will use? What about mating the transfer case to the t350 assuming it's a 2wd transmission?

Price doesn't sound too bad for a solid jeep.

I have found a few adapters for the transfer case and the t350. If I get the jeep will probably drive it a while before tearing it down. Get my thoughts all together, make the plan.

sounds like you are heading the right way. drive it while you lay out your plans. the only issue i have with mine is someone switched the carb and did some home wiring so i am fixing that. other then that, my 87 is a very solid dependable jeep, just like the wife's 93 wrangler with 4.0

i would buy it in a heartbeat, for 2500....well, what engine is in it first. i would buy it in a heartbeat if it had a 6 cylinder but if you are going to go straight into a motor swap, then it would be fine no matter what.

i have an 87 with a 6 cylinder and love it

I am trying to lube the u joint at the front of the transfer-case of a 1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo and there is not Zerk fitting. How do I grease it?

Attachments

• 1st-day with Laredo.JPG
    1st-day with Laredo.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 2,428
I am trying to lube the u joint at the front of the transfer-case of a 1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo and there is not Zerk fitting. How do I grease it?

Best to search the forums, if you can't find an answer start a new thread.

Welcome, I'm a newbie too.

Your u-joint is not grease-able. You'll have to change the joint.

raising the dead.. the only way to do it is to pull the joint out and pull the caps off the u-joint, just a little dab of grease o nthe end of the trunnion and carefully put the cap back on, make sure there is no gaulling on the trunnion or the roller bearings don't look flat. other than that, replace the joint with a greasable unit.

Back