looking at a 1996 grand cherokee laredo

redqueen

Hi everybody, am looking at a 1996 grand Cherokee Laredo. It's in pretty decent shape so far, going to have a mechanic look at it in the next few days.
Needs some trim pieces replaced. Is there an online site where you can get trim pieces at a decent price or should I haunt a salvage lot?

Am also looking for an owners manual...suggestions? Of course would rather download a free one but if those aren't available what next?

There is an "information module" (I don't know what else to call it) below the radio in the lower center of the dash which just flashes at me when I turn the ignition on. Doesn't seem to allow me to select or set anything...should I be concerned? : ))

How does one shift it into four wheel drive? I currently own an 1989 Volvo 740 and it's a great solid economical car until you get it on a slick road and then it's a ditch magnet...hence the jeep. I live in Colorado...thanks in advance for any replies!

Does it have a shift lever for 4wd? What does the shifter bezel read?

I can't find a "lever" for 4wd. I owned an Explorer and it had a toggle switch to shift it into 4wd as did the Expedition I had years ago. This one doesn't have any sort of additional "lever". I know what the lever is like in a Jeep Liberty, is it something like that? There is a button with a "D" inside a sort of square box on the dash just to the left of the steering column next to the windshield wiper and the rear defrost. Is that overdrive? This vehicle currently belongs to the nephew of an elderly woman I know and he's willing to sell it for quite a reasonable price, he didn't say to me that it was 2wd but I'm getting a real squirrelly thought that it is...perhaps he doesn't know that it's not?? (I know that sounds weird but you don't know this family!!)

3032514546-1.gif
and enjoy the forum!

Back