Loud clicking noise!!!!!

pooch01tj

I was driving the other day and all the sudden I starting to hear a loud clicking noise. I hoped it was just a ujoint but thats never my luck. I kinda have it some what down to the transfer case. I pulled the rear drive shaft off and drove it a little and the noise went away. So i think its the rear output in the transfer case. whatever it is, is very loud and seems to only do it under load cuz no noise is heard jacked up. The noise also speeds up as i shift.

I have a 2004 TJ with a 2.5 inch lift with 31's and I also have some driveterrain noise while im in 4x4. I had to adjust my linkage to get the 4x4 to work and stay in 4hi or 4lo. If i had to guess.......the "clicking" noise could be your front spider gears. Your best bet would be to remove the diff covers on the front and rear to examine them more clostly. Good Luck

Could be a worn component in the t.case, maybe the chain. If it was a spider gear in the differential, it would only do it on a turn when the input on one side of the axle is faster or slower than the other side. The spider gears rotates with the differential at the same speed when your driving straight. I would check the u-joints and the splines on the driveline first though.

Back