Major shifting problems.

sezaro21

I seem to have a hard time shifting gears or even getting into gear. Please help!!!!!. At a dead stop I will have trouble going into first gear. Idoesnt want to go into gear, almost as if something is blocking it from going in. I have to put the jeep in reverse or in 2nd gear to get it to move a little so that it will go into 1st. The gears grind as I shift through them and they grind when I down shift. I have replaced the pilot bushing, the clutch, the pressure plate, the flex plate and the internal slave cylinder and I still had the same problem. This morning I replaced the master cylinder and bled the system 3 times to make sure I got all the air out. I'm still having the same problem. I don't know what else to do. I checked the to see if the internal slave was leaking but the bellhousing is dry and I'm not losing any clutch fluid. What could be the problem? I also changed the transmission fluid when I installed the clutch kit. I also checked to make sure that I have enough transmission fluid. Please help as hearing the gears grind is making me want to drive the jeep less and less. What should I do or what should I look for? Sorry for taking so long. this is just really stressing me out.

I have the same problem.I was told from a garage it was the syncro.

Usually if i just move the ****fter back and fourth in nuetral before putting it into first I dont have the problem.Mine also likes to grind in reverse only.

keep us posted when you do find the problem because the more input the better.I need to get mine fixed at some point also.

Sounds like bad synchronizers, common to the ax5 and ax15 since Chrysler recommended the wrong fluid. The recommended GL5 rated gear oil is high in sulfer which is corrosive to the soft brass synchronizers. Chances are you will see brass glitter in the transmission fluid if you were to drain it.

IMO Redline MT90 is the best fluid out there for these trannies. It's an expensive gamble but I've seen this synthetic gear oil improve notchy shifting if the synchros aren't too far gone.

When I go to shift gears, when it grinds, it sounds if something is still spinning. I thought the clutch was suppose to stop things from spinning so that the gears will shift smoothly. That is why I think it something with the clutch components. If i'm wrong for thinking this way please let me know.

I would eliminate the clutch as being the problem. If things are working properly in your transmission, you can actually shift gears without the clutch. I would agree with others......sounds like syncros.

Back