Manifold Destiny

I have from time to time stumbled upon web pages and web articles about the topic of cooking on a car engine. For some strange reason, I find the topic intriguing.

Maybe my interest in under-hood cooking springs from the fact that I am not allowed to express my culinary creativity – yeah, that is it: CREATIVITY -- in the kitchen of my home.

(Yes, there are very good reasons for that, but you do not want to hear those old, greatly exaggerated and embarrassing stories.)

Anyway, here are a couple of links to informative, funny web pages about cooking on a vehicle engine:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dietinfo/exhaust_manifold_oven.htm

and

http://www.wtboxers.com/fun/cooking/broncoroast.html

This might be worth trying during a trail run, if only for the bragging rights. When the group stops for lunch and everyone else pulls out soggy bologna sandwiches, you open the hood of your CJ and extract this:

engine-3.jpg

Opening a bottle of wine, affecting a French accent and saying something about letting the peasants eat cake would be a nice additional touch.

Then again, maybe not. :wink:

Bon Appetite,

Epicurean Gadget :mrgreen:

I have cooked many a can of Chunky soup or baked beans on line trucks, especially when I was a single guy.

Forgot to bring lunch, working in the middle of nowhere, stop at 7-11 and pick up a can of chow.

Lunchtime hits - remove label, pierce can, place on exhaust manifold of big diesel engine. Wait till you hear it sizzling, open can and chow time.

Good stuff.

np435

ive often wondered about doing that, i supposed i could sit mine on my headers and prop it between the intake manifold and intake hose... as long as it gets it hot its good right?

Fire up the defriorsters, place food upton the dash, and plcace foil over it...

Forgive my typing, I got pretty nessed up at the MichiganJeepers.com Christmas Party inlovely Waterford, Michigan...

BAck in the milatary days we still had canned grub rather than the brown plastic bags filled with strange fare for meal time. Not that the old C Rations were not a bit strange. I learned and used the Beanie Winnie Claymore more than once. The troops are all gathered around the open bon fire and resting from a long day of training and I or some other joker would slip an unopend can of beans into the fire few moments later explode with a shower of hot beans enought for all the relaxing GI's. So the moral of this story is open the cans befor you heat em up of you will be looking for a car wash to get the grub out of your tub! hhehehehe tug

RE: testtttt

I've warmed cinnamon rolls on the manifold of my old Ford Maverick on my way to high school (back in the '80s). Made them nice and gooey for first hour, as I recall!

LOL Tug, forgetting to pierce the can to let the steam escape would be ugly - especially if using the engine for a stove!

S'pose you would have to seal it pretty well if you're cooking on engine; my rear main reeks from dripping on the exhaust, Parmesan Garlic Butter Brussels Sprouts du Engine Oi'l do not sound appetizing...

Back