Media players

TwistedCU

I have had a heck of a time trying to play some of the stuff you folks post.

My Windows media player isn't working right for some reason. After a few seconds is goes blank, but I'll hear the audio.

RealPlayer messes with my computer and wants to run in the background, connect to the internet on it's own, etc so I don't like to use it.

I tried a couple free download players but I have format compatibility issues with both of them.

With all that info, can anyone reccomend a spyware free, good working media player that I can install and make the default player for my computer? I prefer a free download of course, but with all the frustration I've had I won't mind paying a reasonable fee fopr a good one.

Thanks in advance

TC

most of the stuff that people post on here i view fine with windows media player. i'd reccommend going to their website and getting the most up to date version first. if that still doesnt work, sounds like you might need to download some video codec's online, you can find those for free if you search for them.

I tried that... Uninstalled it, reinstalled the latest version, set the thing to auto download codecs as needed... same result.

Gosh, Harry,

I don’t know what to advise here.

RealPlayer and Win Media Player (current releases) run perfectly on my PCs.

If the RealPlayer background I-Net connection activity bothers you, put an end to it via your firewall. Zone-Alarm, for example, will throw up a dialogue box to ask if you wish to allow or deny that (RealPlayer configuration) activity. Select “No” and check the “Remember answer” box.

That should be the last time you are queried as regards that specific aspect of the RealPlayer program.

Works for me. {Shrugs shoulders}

Gadget

i downloaded a bunch of divx and other codecs a few weeks ago, let me ask my roommate about them again and i'll get back to you on it....actually BostonJeep helped me with it, chime in any time dave!

I hate to say it, but I used Quicktime for a bit while I had troubles with my Windows Media Player. However, MS released ver 10 of Windows Media Player recently, and that's fixed all my issues. I kept installing and reinstalling 9 to no avail.

RE: HowdyHo!

Well the problems I've had with WMP are over. I removed every folder and every file that had to do with any of the media players I have had and installed WMP version 10 (again) and it works okay now. I think somewhere along the line I installed something that corrupted it all, and deleting all the folders and their contents did the trick ;)

I still couldn't open Gadget's link from the other thread but I guess I need RealPlayer for that one. I really don't want another program so I am back to square one.

Snitty, will WinAmp play all the media that both of the above mentioned programs support (like Realplayer's format especially)??? If you're sure, I will give it a shot.

RE: Re: RE: HowdyHo!

Well it started doing it again. Maybe it's just my computer is old and getting bogged down?

I just installed WinAmp as Snitty suggested. Works like a champ.

Thanks Snitty

RE: Ran out of Gas

Uninstall all your media players (real, quicktime, and windows if you can) through the add remove program files panel (in your control panel). Reboot, and then download and install windows media player.

Once you do that, try the Klite codec pack:
http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm

(you can probably just use the standard version). This will allow you to play pretty much all media files through your windows media player.

RE: Re: Diff & Locker advice

I previously did all that, except the Klite codec pack. I think my computer has issues running the newer WMP. It's an older 566 mhz celeron. I have 288 megs of ram, but the slow processor and the small hard drive have been an issue before. WinAmp has a scaled down version for older units like mine and it works well, so unless I have further problems I'm not changing anything. Thanks for the tip though, when I finally upgrade my computer I'll try it. It's nice to have just one program play it all.

Hi,

<mini rant>

The problem is the wide variety of codecs and file types which are used for video files and streaming video online, and the lack of having a more or less single standard, as is the case for music (MP3 format). Then you have things like the quicktime format, which needs the quicktime software to play, and the software isn't avaliable for all Operating Systems. :roll:

</mini rant>

Sorry I can't be of any specific help, as I haven't used Windows on my computer for some time (and likely never will again), so I don't know how well curent media playing software for it works. However, last I used windows, WinAmp was one of my favorite pieces of software :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Back