min max alternator needed

black87yj

hey people :) what is the expert opinion on what amp alternator to run in the jeep ? I am in the need to replace and want to get one big enough without worry of frying the old wire set up. i plan to add an aux electric fan (out of a mazda 626) and i run four 100 watt running lites at times. my yj has a 360 mopar motor so i need something to fit that bracketry with v belt pulley. i can get a rebuilt 100 amp from farm n fleet for around 130 bucs, or a new nippondenso 75 amp for about 140 and change out the brackets and pulley. no electrician so i have no idea of the min / max is. thanks .

Amps = watts / volts. Then add up all your fuses and that will give you an approx load when all your accessories are running. I run a hundred amp in my Cherokee and it holds up well. I winch with it. Have 2 off road lights and a killer stereo. Plus elec fans a/c etc.

Just remember if you exceed your alt output momentarily it will drain on the battery. Like cooling fan or a winch. You usually don't run every accessory at once.

Sorry to bombard the thread lol. Also remember that once a light is lit and hot, amp draw goes down as the resistance in the light goes up.

Sorry to bombard the thread lol. Also remember that once a light is lit and hot, amp draw goes down as the resistance in the light goes up.

ok cool, i think i'll see whats out there for 75 to 100 as eventually it sounds as if our setups will be close. thanks !

Back