MOPAR MPI KIT - PerformanceTruck&Auto

jeepwanabe

Hi,

I saw your selling the kit for a good price. There's a shop around here which will put one in for 3500.00. I'd like to save the money and do it myself if the directions are clear on how to do it. Can you (or anyone) offer insights on doing the MPI yourself? Is it difficult? How much mechanical knowledge and tools are needed for this job?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice,

[addsig]

Anyone have any experience putting a MOPAR MPI in? Comments? Suggestions?[addsig]

Hello,

Actually, I need to update that price and get some more units in stock. The company that packages the MPI kits is reluctant to sell them to the "little guy" like me in small quantities, i.e. "one at a time".

As for the $3500 price you mentioned at your local shop, I would say that's a bit high. I've installed quite a few of these kits and I only charge between $500-$700 for installation depending on how long it takes.

I always suggest that the timing set up (chain and gears) be checked for excessive wear because correct timing is especially important for the MPI to perate correctly. 9 times out of 10 the timing set needs replacing. Another good idea is to remove the fuel tank, clean it out completely, and replace the sending unit and all fuel lines including the long steel line that runs along the length of the passenger side frame rail. Don't forget to use nothing but fuel injection rated hoses for any part of the fuel line that is not steel.

The instructions are very good and anyone with the right tools, a decent workspace and some mechanical inclination can install this kit. If you understand the basic principles of how an engine and its systems work, you can do this job, but it will take you every bit of a full weekend.

If you're interested, I'll get on the horn to my supplier and see what I can do.[addsig]

Well, I'm living in an Apartment complex in Southern California (Newport Beach) and I thing they might have a cow if I start doing major mechanical work (dropping gas tanks and replacing the timing set) in the parking lot so I guess I can shop around for a better price. The thing is that the people I'm talking about (www.jeepsrus.com) work only with jeeps. I'd like to find someone for the 2200 to 2500 range your speaking about. Anyone live in Southern California who works with jeeps in their shop or anyone can recommend a shop in this area?

Thanks in advance,

[addsig]

The instructions that come with the kit are good. I installed the mopar kit on my 82' CJ-5. BEST investment I've made to the thing since my 8274 winch!. Now, I found the install to be somewhat easy, as I've been doing all the mechanical/electrical work on her sincce 82' when I bought her. The mopar kit was installed on a newly rebuild motor so, I didn't have to worry changing out any worn parts. (all were fresh) I added a borla header, and it passed smog!

For someone that's not very mechanically inclined, it might seem to be a big job. It very well could be. I had the luxury of taking my time, and having a nice wide open work are to do to the job. If your comfortable with tools, and not put off with unforseen issues (ie. stuck nuts & bolts, broken parts etc..) then you should be able to do the work yourself. If it's your only daily driver, let someone that can do the work do it for you. It'll get done more quickly, and you won't be out a vehicle for long.

I have pictures of my install if anyone is interested (up to bolting on the intake & header) After that, I stopped with the camera, and quickly got her put back together so I could her her run!

Send me an e-mail if interested, I can send a few, or I can send them all (DSL is great!)

Troy

[addsig]

Back