Mounting elec. fan to radiator shroud

Turbogus

Howdy Gang,
Well I finally broke down and got me a fan shroud for my '78 w/360. A word of caution, the new Omix-Ada needs relief ground in the bottom for clearance of the lower rad. hose and drain petcock.

My question is has anyone ever tried mounting their electric fan to the shround itself? I'm thinking of using plumbing strap.:?:

I've found that my mounting the fan to the radiator had torque damaged one of the cooling tubes, so trying a different location~also optimal performance of the fan may be attained if it's nearer the open end of the shroud I think.

Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid for any responses

I would think it would move around too much.The shroud itself will flex under the torque of the fan.

I mounted my electric fan on the factory shroud. The fan is off a Grand cherokee. It has 3 mounting points on the fan module. I applied heat on each one of them to bend it at a 90* and bolted it to the fan shroud..

Well, got some plumbing tape and going to give it a try. What with a four post mount as long as it's tight I don't think it'll move at all. Will post results later.

Last edited:

have you tried using rubber washers when mounting it to the rad.? I would think that you would want the fan as close the the rad. as possible, so a shroud mounted fan would be less efficient.

Upon checking out mechanical fans I've noticed that the fan blades protrude halfway out of the fan shroud. I've checked this with Mac's Jeeparts and Mac tells me that this is the optimal position.
On a related matter though, I discovered the primary reason for my slight overheating problem was the upper radiator hose collapses when the motor is under load. The reason I've never noticed it before is at idle, the hose looks just fine, but I happened to be blipping the throttle with my hand, checking for leaks and peered over the cowling and that's when I saw that uppper hose collapse. I reckon the high flow water pump I installed last summer has something to do with it. For remedy, I carefully bent up a wire coathanger (as I did for the lower hose) and inserted it.

Back