MPG on 33" tires/ rideability of 17in wheels

4wdparatrooper

I have been looking around at lifts and tires for my LJ, and was going to go with 35" tires until I saw someone post on here that said they got 7 mpg on their jeep with 35s,as this will be my DD, I wont be able to do that and decided to go with 33's instead. I was just wondering what the mileage would be with these tires.

I also was thinking about going with 17in rims. My next question: Is there really that much difference in the play of the sidewall between 16s and 17s when driving down the highway? Can i get away with 16's or is it safer to ride on the 17in rims?

Hope this makes enough sense that you guys can answer my question

What motor?

As far as rims,most of us are running on 15" rims except the JK's

Also depends on what gear ratio you have for the gas mileage problem.Also depends on how you drive it.

I would assume the bigger the rim and the less side wall the safer you would be from having the tire roll over causing an accident.If you are off roading that side wall comes in handy.

The fuel mileage will vary from one veh. to another based on axle gearing, tire size and driver habits. There are 3 different gear ratio's available on an 06 TJ Unlimited, 4.11,3.07 and 3.73. whichever one you have will play a role on your fuel consumption. As for the wheels, The larger the wheel and the smaller the siwall on the tires will be a lot more easier to balance and less roll on cornering. However, the smaller the sidewall, the more road noise and vibration is transmitted to the cab especially on an agressive tire. since youv'e mentioned that this is your DD, I'm guessing your going to get an all terrain tires. The side walls plays a big role in street performance and off roading due to the protection it can offer your wheels and not to mention keeping it on the bead. I've been running my Jeep with 35X14.5 15s with no issues on safety and i live in the Hill Country of Texas with lots of up and down hills and curvy roads. IMHO, i think the 16s will be a better choice with the 33s since it's a DD. I also think that big wheels with low profile tires on a Jeep looks really stupid.

I run an 05 unlimited with 3.73 gears a 2.5 in RC lift and 33X9.5 15. Just upgraded from stock 30's and no lift. I haven't seen a change in mpg. But these are 9.50 AT's, if these were a more agressive and wider/ heaver tire I'd expect some MPG losses.
As far as rim size I'd agree with Steel Headz. Although going with a 17 and a 33 tire would still be a larger sidewall from the stock 30's on a 15. It really does depend on what you plan to do. You could go to some web sites like American racing, Tire Rack or others to see the rim and tire package on your vehicle before deciding. There was one good one but I can't find it at the moment.

I also think that big wheels with low profile tires on a Jeep looks really stupid.

I agree with you im not trying to have a "ghetto whip". I just want a good all around set up where I can use it on road and off for when I got hunting fishing or of rading on te weekends, and then have no probles for when i go to work through out the week. i have to take the interstate to go to work in the morning. I was thinking that an agressive A/T would suite the needs well.

to answer your guy's questions i have the 3.73, I6, stock wheels, tires, suspension . . . everything.

really wanting to turn this into a serious, and practical jeep that performs offroad.
If i run 33s would i have to change the gear ration to maintain highway speed?

A couple of things to think about concerning MPG

-Automatics get worse MPG than manuals (my 2005 auto w/31s gets 13.5 MPG)

-If you have added 35s, but haven't changed out your speedo gear, you will appear to have worse milage than you actually do, i.e. - your odometer will show 200 miles between fillups when you have actually gone 220

Driver habits can really influence MPG, but I don't think 7 mpg is realistic for a Jeep with 35s. I think you'd get better than that - probably 11-12 mpg with an auto.

Back