Mr. Bush's State of the Union

laxpug19

ALRIGHT MR. PRESIDENT, awesome speech i must say. My first ever State of the Union Address and it was amazing id say. For me im more conservative, i think its great we're helping out iraq, and pulling out now would endanger the country and the government. Also, as a senior ive seen this happen. I live in a fairly high minority populated city in mass. and every assembly our principal goes over how many has dropped out since we were seniors, 26% the one we had in fall. No child left behind, is such a good program. We need to help out the less fortunate instead of giving the rich more. I bored a town called N.Andover who isnt as rich as there Andover, but pretty rich. homes of 500,000 ++++ and they just recieved a new high school, track, football lacrosse and a new hockey rink in the past year. What did we get? new windows and doors... i think we were gonna get new ceiling instead, they just took our old ones out and never put anything up.

thats just a few topics he talked about...

anyone wanna weigh in?

ahhhh............the innocence of youth.:-|

Come to Louisiana if you want to see the "success" of the "no child left behind" program. The public school system in this state is atrocious. I read in the local paper that 85% of the students in the Pointe Coupee parish schools come from families below poverty level.........should tell you something about the public school system here. And to keep my blood from boiling, I won't even comment on Bush.

The last couple of weeks I've been working on a performance HVAC contract in inner-city Baltimore City schools. Let's just say I can tell you first hand that the public school system, at least in the inner-city areas, is not a pretty thing.

to quote Ronald Regan.

"Government isn't the solution to the problem.. Government IS the problem.

More programs aren't fixing anything except draining my paycheck of my take-home pay.:evil:

I'm sick of ALL politicians saying they have the cure in the form of another "program".

The speech wasn't bad. He's had both better and worse. I'm not to big on his "climate change" stance. It is good that he is talking of taking actual steps to reduce our dependence on foreign oil though.

While I truly believe it would be a huge mistake to pull out of Iraq right now...

No child left behind is a complete disaster. While it may have done a few good things the overall program has made a mockery of education as a whole.

Teachers with experience and credentials are being grabbed from the schools that do well and their are being reassigned to the ones that Jason wrote of.

Kids are not allowed to fail grades. Good right? Wrong. I know a woman who currently has a lawsuit against York County Schools in order to get them to fail her 12 year old son. He had been defiant the past year and deliberately did not do his assignments. The teacher told her she could not fail him because the school would not let her. This was because of all the heat the school would take from the Fed gov for "leaving a child behind". They now promote failing students, all the way through high school if necessary, and at the end of 12th grade say goodbye to them but not give them a diploma. That's right... push 'em through for 12 years then kick them out with nothing. No education, no diploma.

They have gone berserk with standardized tests, and many schools are teaching curriculum that merely help the children pass these tests instead of instructing material directly because of the threat of losing federal funding for failure.

I could go on. The list of mindless stuff that comes with the no child program is destroying the school system so it can look good on paper. It's horrible.

It is akin to the way cities knock down criminal charges to lesser offenses or misdemeanors in order to give the appearance of less crime. Encourage failure, corruption, and lies to make things appear better while they only get worse.

This is a huge part of why we homeschool our kids. It's not the only reason but it is one of the primary ones.

This, to me, is the worst thing our President has done while in office.

The speech wasn't bad. He's had both better and worse. I'm not to big on his "climate change" stance. It is good that he is talking of taking actual steps to reduce our dependence on foreign oil though.

While I truly believe it would be a huge mistake to pull out of Iraq right now...

No child left behind is a complete disaster. While it may have done a few good things the overall program has made a mockery of education as a whole.

Teachers with experience and credentials are being grabbed from the schools that do well and their are being reassigned to the ones that Jason wrote of.

Kids are not allowed to fail grades. Good right? Wrong. I know a woman who currently has a lawsuit against York County Schools in order to get them to fail her 12 year old son. He had been defiant the past year and deliberately did not do his assignments. The teacher told her she could not fail him because the school would not let her. This was because of all the heat the school would take from the Fed gov for "leaving a child behind". They now promote failing students, all the way through high school if necessary, and at the end of 12th grade say goodbye to them but not give them a diploma. That's right... push 'em through for 12 years then kick them out with nothing. No education, no diploma.

They have gone berserk with standardized tests, and many schools are teaching curriculum that merely help the children pass these tests instead of instructing material directly because of the threat of losing federal funding for failure.

I could go on. The list of mindless stuff that comes with the no child program is destroying the school system so it can look good on paper. It's horrible.

It is akin to the way cities knock down criminal charges to lesser offenses or misdemeanors in order to give the appearance of less crime. Encourage failure, corruption, and lies to make things appear better while they only get worse.

This is a huge part of why we homeschool our kids. It's not the only reason but it is one of the primary ones.

This, to me, is the worst thing our President has done while in office.

:agree:

On a side note, referencing his attempt at controlling oil consumption, I recently read that Prince Charles has been cancelling family vacations (or holidays, as those wacky Brits call them) to reduce the amount of hydrocarbons the royal family emits into the atmosphere. He has also refused to fly to different continents or other areas of his own when it is feasible to carry on the meeting by video conference. Though I think the whole "royal family" thing is just a big crock of poo, at least he's taking his promises of holding down emissions personally. Let's see Bush and other politicians try that.

Wow it took almost two days for there to be a thread about the "Hate of The Union" address. I am surprised! Don't take it the wrong way though. I was doin everything in my power to not go sit down at the computer the second it was over and write out my response here. Every time I here that puttz talk it infuriates me.
However, being a soldier I strongly believe that it would be wrong to pull out of Iraq now. Do I think it was wrong to start the war? I have very mixed feelings about that. We're doing a good thing by giving those people some freedom and trying to improve their quality of life. Is that the message everyone gets from the president? I don't think so. That man just shouldn't be a public speaker. How he ever made it so far in politics as such a poor public speaker is beyond me. I have no faith in what he says and I don't think he does either.
As for "No Child Left Behind".....Since I don't have kids in the school system I really don't have much room to comment. I do think kids today have a whole heck of a lot to learn about a lot of stuff they don't teach in school. Did I learn it in school or did my parents/family teach me those things? Probably a lot of both. We don’t need any more programs to make kids smarter. We need parents to take an active role in their kid’s lives and most importantly their educations. I’m willing to bet at least one of my parents asked me what I learned in school everyday. We talked about what I did learn and they asked me questions about it or I asked them to explain it to me a little more. Harry, I truly admire your family for taking the time to teach your kids. I hope that when I’m a parent, my wife and I can take the time to pay attention to our kids. They need to be held accountable for their knowledge a lot earlier then that last day in the 12th grade when they get a diploma or not.
And now on to our foreign aid policies. How about we stop sending money to other countries and stop trying to help them so much? There are plenty of starving families living below poverty or hovering just above it that we could be spending our billions on right here in our own country. Yes I know there are children starving in Africa that will probably die before I finish writing this, but let Sally Struthers, Oprah Winfrey and Brangelina Jolie worry about them! We have our own issues at home to deal with. Speaking of foreign aid……How come we don’t see Mexico giving us any money to help support their starving (illegal aliens) immigrant workers? Instead of putting up a fence (I think this is a great idea anyway), why don’t we punish the employers who are hiring these people? Remember the movie Born In East L.A.? Why don’t we see these companies being raided like that anymore? Back then it seemed like there was more fear of being deported if you were caught. Now the only thing the illegal aliens have to fear is breaking a leg and being left to starve on the trip over the boarder. Because once they’re here they know nothing will be done to send them back. In fact we’ll give them government assistance ($$$) and put their children through school! Ohh and by the way……your taxes will be going up to cover these expenses.
Finally, let’s talk about the way America is perceived by others and how that’s changed over the last few decades. Our country used to be a place where people came to make a better life for themselves and they strived to do this and were justly rewarded. Other countries looked up to us as an example of what they wanted to become. Now people still come here to make a better life for themselves, but there’re probably a lot more people (American citizens & immigrants alike) that know Uncle Sam will take care of them if they fail so they don’t even try anymore. Other countries look at us and laugh at how we can’t even enforce our own laws anymore, yet try to impose sanctions and restrictions on their countries. We are almost completely un-self-sufficient anymore, relying on other countries for our oil, cars, clothes and a whole bunch of other consumer goods.
Anyway, I’m done ranting now. A lot of you probably won’t read all of this. I probably wouldn’t either.

As a Senior in High School the MCAS, is a joke. You litterally have to be mentally disabled to not pass. or not know english. They even let the slower kids go to the library with tutors to help them pass, while they're taking the test.

They even let the slower kids go to the library with tutors to help them pass, while they're taking the test.
As well as the lazy kids. Basically anyone they think might not pass or is on their second attempt.

Now that's progress! :roll:

I thought Bush did an excellent job of making a case for amping up the campaign in Iraq. I have said it before - regardless of the hows and whys of our being there the fact is if we left the area or failed to stabilize it then the ramifications would be felt here at home.

What the heck was he talking about with the civilian volunteer thing? That sounded weird, and the Military brass there didn't seem too impressed at all by it :-| I would think if someone wanted to volunteer to go help out in that cause it would serve them better to have the benefits of being a soldier and then a veteran. Not to mention I would think it would put a strain on the military to have to babysit more civilians from the US. How could that help morale :(

So... who do you think will be in the White house in a couple years? Hillary? Obama? Gingrich? Guliani? McCain? Edwards?

Current polls say Hillary has a 16 point lead over Osama, oops I meant Obama :D . Guliani could do well in northeastern democratic states. Gingrich is an old school Reagan type republican. McCain is widely viewed as a hot-headed nutcase. Edwards, well I just don't think he has a chance. He came off as being pretty uninformed in the vice-presidential debates a few years ago and I don't think he stands a chance.

Personally (speaking as a conservative) I really like Newt, but he has spent years doing commentary and that can often be easy ammo for the spin doctors. Guliani seems like a great guy and a strong leader but his politics may be a bit for me to get over.

I really don't think either party has a very strong candidate. Hillary is probably the strongest Dem, and there are a couple republicans I won't yet mention that I would like to see run but we'll see.

So... who do you think will be in the White house in a couple years? Hillary? Obama? Gingrich? Guliani? McCain? Edwards?

I agree, also, that neither side has a very strong candidate. However, I'm afraid it could turn out to be Osama/Obama, but not because he is a good candidate, but rather because he is black (or, at least partially black). That's the mentality in the nation anymore, and that's the exact wrong reason to elect him. Same almost goes for Hillary....if it were another woman....or, umm....even a woman.:lol: She is a smart cookie, but as a Democrat myself, she still scares me. Well, I'm registered Democrat, and follow some of the Democrat beliefs, but I am not one to tow the party line....I vote for the person and issues, not the party. Newt Gingrich has too many skeletons in his closet, and he scares me more than Hillary, simply for his ties to the Reagan/Bush Whitehouse. Not the good side of that Whitehouse, the behind the scenes, Iran Contra-type Reagan/Bush Whitehouse. McCain? You said it, TC, he's a whack-job! Edwards? Clueless. Giuliani? Yeah, I could see that. Looking at what he did for NYC before, during, and after 9/11, I would vote for him. He's very savvy, very smart, and very (sometimes brutally) honest in his approach in front of the public. I'll admit, I don't know much about his tenure as Mayor of the Big Apple, but I do know he turned that city around and helped build it back up from the depths it was in before he took office. He is also to be credited with the fantastic response to the Tower attacks, both during and prior, for the work he did re-writing the city's disaster preparedness plans. He was highly instrumental in the initial response, the SAR operation, as well as the following clean-up. Not to mention, he was very humble in his presentation of the news, his discussions with family members, and his dedication to the city's populace. Yeah, I'd vote for him.

I think Giuliani gets more credit than he deserves, is way soft on illegal immigration, and is no friend of the majority of the Constitution. I'm really not sure how he's a Republican (which is probably why he enjoys some support from the left side ;) )

I'd trust Obama before Giuliani, though I've always wondered what his voting record would look like if he wasn't so far up Richard (ha ha cant say ****) Durbin's butt (I honestly think it would be better). If he's only stick to being fiscally responsible and hold the Second Amendment in the esteem that he claims to hold the rest of the Constitution.

Obama's voting record is a very liberal one. That and the fact that he is nothing more than the most handsome black man that the Dems could come up with means he in no way would get a vote from me. He's accomplished nothing other than his book :roll: The fact that he is up (D)ick Durbin's rear only proves one thing... he's done nothing to merit a run for the white house, and he is just going to be a puppet to the Democrats who will try to get him elected.

An Obama/Guliani election race would be a clear example that either party has little or no interest in having a solid president to lead our country. All they care about is a "D" or an "R" after their name when they get elected. Neither one of them are true representatives of their respective parties. IT's not about fixing things, it's not about right and wrong. It's about who has the power. This is a bad place for us to be.

I don't think Newt has got too much to worry about as far as baggage is concerned, but the Dems will hammer home that he is of the Bush era and that may kill his chances considering "W"'s approval rating is just a hair better than Nixon's was when he resigned.

it's pretty sad that its come to a situation of "who did you vote against" instead of "who did you vote for"

I do agree that many people will vote without educating themselves about the issues, (In terms of the Obama candidacy) but when has that ever NOT been the case?

The popularity contest factor ie swave demeanor, good looks, etc has been in place for a while now. Many folks voted against Kerry because he looked like Lurch. And I'm not kidding.

As for Obama, what about his political record do some of you not like?

I know what TC's objections are, because ideologically he's against most of TC's political beliefs, but I'd like to hear some specifics from others (especially dems). I don't want to start a debate, but I do want to hear some examples so I myself can do more research.

Back