mtx subs

huskerdoc12

I am trying to add some "soul" to my jeep. i have a '04 TJ. Does anyone have the thunderform box and subs for the wrangler? I sold my Intrepid with tons of trunk space. now I have to downsize and sell the stuff I was using to get into the space I have in the jeep. thanks

I've been looking to buy a a box for my jeep, but haven't been able to find one that i like. I would suggest just making your own so that you can fit more in the trunk. Also, look into getting the trunk cover so that nobody can get into your trunk easily. By the way what size do you have?

[Sarcasm]My old YJ's un-enclosed stock 4x6 dash speakers were always good enough for my favorite talk radio program until they got wet too many times. I siezed the opportunity and upgraded them with a more weather-resistant, poly-coned pioneer two way 4x6 that bolted right in. The seperate tweeter as opposed to the stock "dual cone" greatly enhanced my Clarion deck's imaging and really brought Sean Hannity's voice to life.[/Sarcasm]

I have two tens. I do have the "insta-trunk" that cam with the jeep. I am looking at a box on e-bay. one of the techs from crutchfield said you can mount the amp on the inside of the box to save space. I just sold most of the stuff that was in my car.

The only problem with that is you can risk overheatting the amp. If you want to mount it on the inside, I would go for a vented box. What's the power rating for the subs?

I have a capcitor. the subs from my car are kenwood 10" 200RMS 800max. I got the box on e-bay for $70. it retails for 350. I am going to try to mount the amp on the outside first. the sub I have is a mtx class D. i think it is the same one the used in the powered version of the sub box I got on ebay. I saved some major bucks by buying the used box on ebay and using my old subs. I saw that someone has 6 1/2" speakers in the roll bar. I wish I had known that. I got some new polk 5 1/4 for the front and the bar.

2004 black sahara stock-for now

Last edited:

That's cool that you got a GREAT deal on the box, i might have to look for one. As for the amp, it would probably be best on the inside like you first said, in case of a sudden shower :<. Let me know how it goes so i can decide on whether to buy one or not, thanx. Oh by the way, i'm the one who was talking about the 6 1/2" speakers, they do fit.

I am strictly against putting an amp inside a sub box. There is a great risk of overheating. I have build amp boxes before, but they were not sitting next to and sharing air with a huge hot magnet. ANY box that is used to enclose an amp MUST be vented with cooling fans... TWO cooling fans.. one in, one out

the box sounds great with the two tens. it fits well too. I have a mtx mono sub running them booth. I cam make the Jeep bounce with some Public Enemy.

hoobness said:
isnt this www.jeepz.com ?

whats happening to this site?

You don't think a Jeep should have subs? Jeepz.com is not only about driving your jeep off road. It's also about helping others fix up their jeep. Doing mods to make it better off road and on, outside the jeep and in. That includes the radio.

I don't see where the problem is?

Sounds like you got a good deal on your box... i ordered mine through a local sound shop from audioenhancers... i'd strongly advise against putting your amp on the inside or outside of your box unless you want to buy a new amp every few months though(vibration issues)... i have mine mounted under my back seat which has proved decent in keeping it cool and away from prying eyes...

Back