my 92 xj

pinaplebob

Hi all, It's been a long time since i've posted I've been on lurking, just havent posted.

My 92 does not start if it's below 35 degrees or so. As soon as it gets warmer, it starts right up. I'm at a loss as to what it could be. I've checked the cap, rotor, plugs, wires and they all seem to be fine. When it does start it purrs and runs really smooth, so i don't think it's a tune up issue. I've done alot of research, on the topic and have gotten a lot of info, but nothing note worthy.

1) plugs, wires, cap and rotor need to be replaced (plan on doing it, but don't think that is the ultimate problem)
2) Cam posistion sensor is bad (I haven't trouble shot it yet, and i don't even know how to trouble shoot it.
3) I've gotten water in a wiring harness that freezes. (this sounds the most possible, but where do you even start checking? I've checked every connector I can get to under the hood.)

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Turn the key to on 3 times and see what error code shows (check engine light blinks in morse code) Fuel pump relay may have some moisture in it. I swapped mine with the AC one recently when it wouldn't start one AM. Fired right up after that.

When it's cold out, yes it does crank. It will crank until the battery is dead if i Let it.

As far as the relay I'll try that tonight, that is a good Idea, Hopefully it will be something easy like that.

Thanks for your help.

Alright, So I switched out the relay, and still nothing. But i can definatly hear the fuel pump spool up when I turn the key one. I tried the Check engine like trick and got nothing. The check engine light goes out as soon as I try and start it. So i'm back to square one.

Get someone to help and see if you have spark. If not, then the crank position sensor may be shot ot shorting out when cold.

I had a problem kinda the same and it was my oil was to thick.

Alrighty, Well spent pretty much the whole day diagnosing and trying stuff. I decided this morning to pull the plugs and check if i'm got spark. When I pulled them I found that I have no spark, and the plugs were shot, so I replaced all of them, allong with the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. (it's been a long long time since it's had a tune up). After that still nothing, so next thing in line is the coil, which I replaced, but still no spark. I've checked every plug I could and everything seemed clean. I guess that leaves the crank position sensor.

Is there a write up some where on how to diagonse it or replace it? Ive been working off of my chiltons manual for so long now, and i'm to the point where it doesn't tell me anything else.

Thanks for all your help.

I found a couple of decent write ups but nothing noteworthy. But I think i'm going to go take the route of replaceing the crank posistion sesor. Just gotta find one for a 1992 Cherokee.

Anyone know where to find on online or cheap?

Seems like everywhere i go I can buy 80's to 91 and 93 on up.

Whats the deal with 1992?

Thanks

(CPS) Crankshaft Position Sensor is located on the transmission bellhousing in the left side just behind the exaust down pipe. To check the CPS disconect the CPSelectrical connector from the main wiring harness at the rear of the intake manifold.
use an ohmmeter and check the resistance across A and B terminals (marked on the connector) On a 1992 or earlyer the meter should read no resistance (open)
If readings are not to specs. replace CPS.
Replacement is easy. it is held onto the bellhousing with 2 bolts. Just remove bolts,unplug from harness.
You also might want to make sure the fuel pump is pumping fuel and not just running dry. Also check fuel filters and lines for clogs.
Also if the vent line on the fuel tank is clogged that can cause a vacume and not allow fuel to pump.
Hope this helps!

Back