My CJ is possessed

Scrappy

Great site, I have found a lot of useful information site using the search. Now i have an issue of my own, I have searched all over and had no luck.

Let me lay the foundation....My battery had a crack and would leak acid, over time it got harder and harder to start but it would start, now it won't start at all. So, I replaced the battery, didn't start. Replaced the battery cables and starter solenoid, doesn't start. Just replaced the starter, now it starts but here comes the strange part....Turn the ignition to start, I get nothing, let it go to run and it starts to run and sounds like it is still trying to still start. Almost sounds like when you turn your key while the car is already running. Then I turn the ignition to off and it keeps running/trying to start. I am at a loss.

If anyone can point me in some kind of direction I would really appreciate it. If you need more details, I will be more than happy to give them.

It is an 1983 CJ7, 258.

Sounds like some sort of short (electrical problems REALLY suck!!). Have you traced all the damage that leaking battery acid caused?

Thanks for all the advice, I will let you know what comes of it all.

The headlights haven't started spinning yet, but I did almost run over my little civic.... I reached over the passenger seat, turned the key and the darn thing actually started while in gear and was going straight for the front quarter panel, turn the key to off and it wouldn't stop running, by the time I got it stopped my front bumper was about 5 inches from the civic. Now, the civic is on the other side of the driveway. Everytime I work on this Jeep, it has been an adventure.

-Scrappy

Back