My Jeep died again! Please help :(

pezzo33

ok, so have my engine rebuilt 1000 miles ago. 89 YJ, 258 CID I6, resurfaced crank, new rods and pistons, new head gasket, etc.

So yesterday jeep dies, as if it ran out of gas. Then worked again, filled it up, was not empty. runs for 50 miles fin. then today on, the way home (and only 1/2 mile from my house!! :x ) it dies again.

Just dies, like out of gas. But I fille dit up yesterday, so I knwo it has gas.

wait a little bit, start it, nothing, try again, nothing, try again, starts, go like 100 feet, then all of a suden... BANG!! huge bank, like a tire blowout of shotgun, then dies. I get out, nothing on the ground, cant figure out what it is. could it be detonation??

Soopen the hood, but it is at night and dark. one of the hoses coming off the bottom of the weber carb is not hooked to anything, not sure what it is supposed to be hooked to though???

so now jeep wont start. get my brothers Jepe and drag mine home.

here is my theory. fuel pump went, fuel is not getting to the engine (hence dying like out of gas). Now my theory is enhanced by the fact that the sound went off. if it was DET, it could have been too much air (oxygen) in the chamber, no gas, spark, and boom...kinda a stretch, but my thoughts.

now it will not start, and battery is dying from trying. any thoughts, any ideas, anything it may be?

thanks!

Barry

First off, congrads on the jeep, I thought yours was stoler, and that you got another vehicle, guess I was wrong. as for the problem, everything leads to fuel except the Bang thing. On my old YJ, there was a wire for the fuel pump that went over the front of the exhust manifold and it had a small spot that was grounding out and blowing the Maxi fuse. But cause you have a older YJ than my 94 and don't have fuel injection, that leads me to a vacumn problem, that wire you have found undone might be the coulpret. I am not a expert on the carb systems on a YJ. Hey on another note, if you want to go wheeling, email me, we are going next weekend in you area, sort of!

synthetic

thanks for the help!

well, yes my other jeep was stolen. then I bought another 1989, just like the old one, but with only 98K on it instead of 273K. a week into owning it, the engine blew...then rebuilt..

now this. I want my old one back :(

Thanks fo the tips. now that it is light out, I will snoop around more see if i can find the problem.

Also, I would love to wheel, thanks for the invite, but my jeep is still a few parts away from being ready (tires are in the basement instead of on the jeep). but coe March, I will be going as much as possible :)

thanks again!

Barry

I know you have replaced your fuel filter. Sometimes it can be something very simple. Hope that is so in your case.

jeep dying

You said one of the hoses on the weber fell off...
Care to post a picture, maybe i can identify it.

Anyways, here's a link that helped me *correct* alot of the problems i had with my vacuum routing.

http://home.jps.net/~sanchez3/Weber/install/install.htm

The only thing i did differently than is in this document is to switch the M and P vacuum as listed in the vacuum diagram. They have the manifold vacuum going to the distributor instead of the ported vacuum. I have had better results with the ported vacuum.

Anyways, i would imagine that either your fuel lines werent hooked up right or came loose, or that the vacuum routing may have been throwing off your distributor advance enough to cause backfiring.

Along the lines of the fuel filter, if there is a filter IN the gas tank that is clogged it could cause the symptoms you described except for the bang. I had a car do that very thing. Acted like it ran out of gas, filled up, ran for awhile, then again quits like out of gas. Turns out the in tank filter was clogged and when the tank got to a certain level, it couldn't suck any gas in. Not sure if your Jeep has that filter though.

Head lamp-dash shortage

well, it ended up not being the fuel system, but the ignition module, no spark was getting created.

I was a little suprised by this, but said ok. talked to a couple mechanics at work, they said this sounds right, so I called my buddies shop where teh jeep was and said fix it.

Guys at work said it was like a $50 part, and took about 20 minutes to replace. two screws, I could do it myself. i thought, easy anough, but it is already at my buddies place, and I would feel horrible towing it home to fix myself.

sooo..

they charge my $302+ :evil:
needless to say I am not too happy, and not sure why it is so expensive, but get to go in today and find out.

oh well, at least I get the jeep back

Barry

Back