My YJ-7

steady.foot

I've been building on this for quit a while now and over the winter I've redone a few things but haven't been able to upload pics. I think i've finally solved that problem.
1988 wrangler islander
CJ-7 nose and tailgate
88 XJ 4.0 engine
88 XJ AX 15 transmision
Ruged ridge mega short slip yoke eliminator
Weber carb
rear Ford explorer 8.8 rear axle with 4.88 gears and Ected E locker
front dana HP 30 with 4.88 gears and a spartan locker
homemade front axle disconect
4" Procomp springs
1" body lift
1" homemade shackle lift
Dodge durango steering box
Warrior prod steering brace
Omix Ada tie rod and drag link
Smittybilt 8000# winch
Goodyear 35x12.5x15 MT/R's
15x10 Craiger 320 wheels
homemade rear double tube bumper
rebuilt toyota double tube front bumper
homemade rear swing away spare tire and high lift jack carrier
Bestop bikini top, windjammer and two piece soft doors
Bushwacker 6" fender flares
Monkey bars rocker guards
homemade onboard air setup with tank in the front bumper
front line lock
Ruged ridge center console
Cobra ultra lll CB

Attachments

• 100_0574.jpg
    100_0574.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 677

Steady.foot,, dont tease us!! That pic u posted isn't near big or close up enough to check it out.. IMO you have made a awsome combination, I love the looks of the cj,s the comfort and modernties of the wrangler. You have solved the rear axle problem of both models as well. You have good power, reliability and hopefully good fuel ecconomy with the 4.0. I have always wanted to combine the two models myself but have not as of yet.. More pics please!!

The XJ transmission hangs the 231 lower than a YJ transmission, did you do anything to clock it back up for better ground clearance?

Here's a couple more pic's a little closer up and better quality.
The previos owner did the 4.0, AX15 swap so i'm not sure if he got another transfer case fron a wrangler or put a new shaft in his old one.
I'm finding that the 4.0 is gutless with a carburator and plan on doing a stroker next year if finances allow.

Attachments

• 100_0575.jpg
    100_0575.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 453
  • 100_0576.jpg
    100_0576.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 425
You'd likely be impressed with a H.O head and newer MPFI fuel injection.

It's the XJ transmission that hangs the 231 low, unless the tailhousing of the transmission has 6 new holes drilled to clock the 231 up higher. Might be something to consider for more ground clearance if the PO didn't already do it.

Thanks Paul.
I picked up a 93 grand cherokee last fall for parts and i think i'm going to use the 4.0 out of that for the stroker. It's suposed to have the HO engine. As far as the fuil injection. I know it's better and more efficient, But, I'm electronically chalenged. I know how to get home when a carburator messes up, but have no idea about electronic fuil injection run by computers. 90% of my riding is back woods and it's a long walk out.

I hear ya. Im not to up on the electronics either, thats y I stay with the carb too. Like you say, you can tune that right on the trail. Thats the reason I stayed with points ignition as well, if anything happens in the middle of nowhere I can fix it right there in about 5 mins. Im not stuck with some sensor, ignition box that went out leaving me stranded. Unfortunately I don.t know anyone with a jeep, so my wheeling is solo and I try to make sure I could fix any problem that may come up while out. Carbs have there problems too but they are usually self fixable in minutes. Your jeep looks nice, I really like the stance it has.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the compliments.
I made it to be as capable as possible offroad and still be roadworthy.
Gennybro, A stroker is putting a crankshaft from a 4.2 AMC engine into a 4.0 giving it a longer stroke and more displacement. Lots of information here. Jeep Strokers • Homepage

What intake and head are on it now because an 88 XJ would have had the Renix FI not a carb. The only XJs to get carbs were early AMC versions with the 2.5 and 2.8, all 4.0s had some form of fuel injection. Now my YJ has a carb but has a 4.2 not a 4.0 and it also is pretty gutless.

It has the original carbed intake on it and i presume the head that came with the 4.0

you might want to run the numbers on the head and engine block, or post some pics specifically of those. the 4.2 intake for a carb will bolt to a 4.0 but the holes don't line up well and if you don;t do some port matching, it causes some flow trouble.

i have the stroker you are talking about (supposed to be, from what everyone tells me) or someone put a 4.0 lower end in mine with a 4.2 top end. it was a dog till i put the holley four barrel on it, now its like a different engine.

Thanks all for the compliments.
I made it to be as capable as possible offroad and still be roadworthy.
Gennybro, A stroker is putting a crankshaft from a 4.2 AMC engine into a 4.0 giving it a longer stroke and more displacement. Lots of information here. Jeep Strokers • Homepage
Thanks! I had googled the word stroker and gotten some info. It had mentioned something about safe revving issue when useing a stroker,compared to a factory set up. Something I need to learn about,thanks again.

Mine revs to redline fine and this thing seems like a lot of it was half assed

the 4.2 intake for a carb will bolt to a 4.0 but the holes don't line up well and if you don;t do some port matching, it causes some flow trouble.

Most likely the reason why it's such a dog. 90% of my riding is offroad so it hasn't been much of a problem. Since the engine will be the most expensive single inprovement, It is the last thing on the list.

That's one tough looking jeep Steady.foot. I noticed on your specs. you listed a smittybilt 8000# winch. I was thinking about getting one and was wondering if you had a chance to use it yet and would you recommend it?

I have used the winch and it works just fine. I had the first generation smittybilt winch and the magnets in the motor came apart. The second generation is made by a diferent manifacturer.

Back