Need help cj7 wont start

Jeep4230

My 1980 cj7 recently started to start hard I put it on the cold weather but it staled twice on my last trip and won't start now
It acts like its starving for fuel
New fuel pump a little over a year a go
And the fuel filter is clean
I'm at a lose on what to check next

When you pump the gas does it squirt into the carb? If you pour gas in the carb will it start?

as said above, check gas. I would take the gas line off at the carb and crank the motor, if gas comes out the line, the pumps working, then I would pour some in the carb and see if it will start. If you just look down the carb while applying the throttle you could still see gas because the float bowl is full and will squirt fuel. After that I would take out a spark plug, then put your plug wire on it and lay the plug and wire on something like your manifold or metal fender to ground it, have someone crank the motor over and look for a spark at the plug. You can hold the plug against something metal if laying it down doesnt work BUT use a pair of pliers with rubber
insulated handle so you dont get a zap when you crank over the motor. Let us know what you find out...

The fuel pump turned out to be the problem after all even though it was replaced a little over year ago but of course it only had a year warranty.

cj,s are old and their gas tanks are metal and covered with a metal skid. Off roading, rain, road salt, snow ect... play havoc on the tank. They WILL rust out and leak, or they can rust out from the inside out. I have had a few that rusted from the inside out and had to keep replacing fuel pumps because it sucked crap up from the tank. So, if your filter keeps plugging up or you keep going through pumps, I would clean out the tank, and be prepared to possibly replace it not too far off in the future.

When I replaced it this time I added a filter on the tank side of the pump maybe it will save the pump from my old hoses and tank

Back