Need help deciding which Jeep to Keep

numbrsevn

Hey guys. I've got 2 Yj's and sadly I need to get rid of at least one of them for now. One of them is a 1989 (carb) 6 cyl Laredo Hard Top with 170,000 miles. I just got it back from my brother, and while it was gone it has developed a "click click click" ing noise somewhere in the drive line (maybe U-joints? i don't know). It definitely could use a paint job and some TLC. The other YJ is a 1990 (fuel injected) 4 cyl. soft top with 115,000 miles. The only thing wrong with it is the horn doesn't work. Paint isn't showroom new, but it has at least 5 years left in it. Both jeeps are manual transmission. The 90 is in much better shape I would say, but it is "only" a 4 cyl. If you were in my position, which (or both) would you sell?

RE: 91 YJ ***Work in progress*** 4 SALE

Hmmm. Tough choice. When you decide which one to give me let me know ;)

My personal preference would be to keep the 90. I think you'd be better off with the fuel injection vs. the carb and, unless you just have to go 80mph down the highway, the 4banger is a great little engine (and have you noticed gas prices lately?). And you've most likely got 4:10' in the difs on the 4banger, it's a toss-up on the 89.............Plus, I love the soft tops. Just my personal preferences.

Buy you gotta fix that horn! :lol: :lol:

Can your '89 really go 80 on the freeway? I had trouble getting my '84 with 4.2L to go 65, but then again it wasn't regeared. If the '90 has enough hp and torque for your needs, I would keep it. If not, I would keep it and plan on dropping a 4.0L in it.

RE: YJ TRAILER PICS

Sell the 6 cyl Jeep and use that money to put a 4.0 in the 4 cyl model. Swap the tops out first though.

if your 89 has a/c PLEASE send me a pic of the mounting config b/4 you sell it!!! (yea... still trying to find the bracket/compressor for my OBA....)....
but I vote you keep the FI 90.. even w/the 4banger in there....

Remove anything you want to keep and then sell them both. Then go buy a 91 or newer with the HO 4.0

RE: White posted in GEN CHAT

Thanks for the replies. It looks like most people vote to keep the 4 cyl. and to tell you the truth, I'm glad that's the case. It is in a lot better shape than the 6 cyl. so what I think I'm going to do is keep the 4 banger, and sell the 6 cyl. But 1st I'm going to see if I can make the hard top work on my 4 cyl. If I can, I'll sell the 6 cyl. with just a bikini top and keep the hard top and soft top for the Jeep that stays home. Who knows though, the way I change my mind, I may end up keeping both.

P.S. Sorry, neither Jeep has A/C (nor should any Jeep :D )

the hardtop will work on any cj7 / YJ.... and for the horn... go buy a new dual tone (autozone etc...) and a relay (little white box under dash near fuse box) thats how i got my horn working (finally!!!) and as for the AC.... the only thing it IS good for is on board air (OBA)!!!! thats how my old 91 ended up... just cant find the parts for my 89 I-6 w/serp. belt....

RE: YJ TRAILER PICS

I know the hard top will fit the Jeep, I guess what I should have said was, I have to see if my door uppers will fit to the hard top once it is on the Jeep. I've got 3 sets of doors, but I'm pretty sure all are the kind with sharp corners, and the hard top requires rounded corners. The other Jeep has full doors, I guess I can rob those from it as well and have them painted to match. If I keep it up I'll have myself talked into keeping both of them and using one for parts/overgrown atv.

numbrsevn said:
P.S. Sorry, neither Jeep has A/C (nor should any Jeep :D )

Well, I've been enjoying my A/C even with the top off. I've had the windows out for a few months now and the top stays down unless there is rain but it sure is nice when it's 100 outside (like yesterday) and I'm in my longsleeve shirt and tie to have some cold air blowing on me. It doesn't do any good while moving but while stopped at lights it's nice. :D

Dang double post, sorry. :oops:

It said it failed so i hit it again. :roll:

I've been wussified by the TJ. I never thought such a luxury belonged in a SWB either until I got this little turd. AC is nice to have, I don't care how hardcore you are.

As for the issue of which Jeep to keep, I don't see how you are really ahead with either engine. That's alot of mileage in both cases. I'd assume a rebuild is in the near future for both, to be realistic. I know there are examples out there of each engine that have gone a miliion and a half miles, but it's not the norm. You can add FI to the six alot cheaper than you can make the four cylinder produce six cylinder power. I guess it just depends on what you plan on doing with the Jeep.

"I've been wussified by the TJ. I never thought such a luxury belonged in a SWB either until I got this little turd. AC is nice to have, I don't care how hardcore you are."

yea but the TJ has "real" ac w/vents in the dash and EVERYTHING!!! not the old YJ style underdash unit garbage..

RE: Re: RE: lincoln locker, quick question

Well I sold the 89 6 cyl. today. In the end it came down to which one somebody bought first. The guy who bought it originally came to look at the 90 4 cyl. but he seen the other one and it is a perfect match for what he was wanting. Someone wrecked his YJ last week and it was a brother to the one I had. Same color and everything. So he took the 89 so he could use parts off his old Jeep to make one nice Jeep. The only difference is now he has a hard top and a soft top for it. I still may sell the 90 to get a "newer" Jeep, but right now I'm looking into spending my recent windfall on a lift kit. I ain't had the $ 1 hr and it's already burning a hole in my pocket. Thanks to everyone for their insight and input. Now, where did I put my Quadratec catalog?????

LVRockCrawler said:
"I've been wussified by the TJ. I never thought such a luxury belonged in a SWB either until I got this little turd. AC is nice to have, I don't care how hardcore you are."

yea but the TJ has "real" ac w/vents in the dash and EVERYTHING!!! not the old YJ style underdash unit garbage..

Good point.

Numbrsevn--wow, that was fast! I guess you don't need to worry about that decision anymore, huh? So, what kind of lift are you going with?

gotta thow this in.... www.hellcreeksuspensions.com only if youre looking for a 4" SUA.... great support, uses RoughCountry hardware w/Tom's custom springs - had mine over a year, the flex is good and not any settling to speak of... plus great customer service and lifetime warranty (unconditional if not modified) - and tom will tell you whats acceptable to the warranty (like when i asked him about removing the clips on the spring packs...) and at $425 + Frt its not a bad deal...
anyway... just my $.02
Oh... BTW.... NO PRO COMP!!!

Back