NEED HELP!!! My jeep took a crapt on me over night, very confused

my97

Please need help, i learning about jeeps and cars as i go. about a week ago my wife tells me the "check gages" light came on, i look at it and showed it on my volt meter. I ingored the problem and thought it was a bad sensor, and the car has been driving fine. 12/20 I noticed the car was stalling a little before it turned on...i turned it off and on, it struggled more. When i left work, i asked my boss to look at it. He suggested i tighten all the cables going to the battery poles, i did. Then it would not turn back on, he had to give me a jump cause the car wouldnt start. The battery is new has less then a year old. I noticed that when i opened and closed the door my volt meter would drop, and gas meter. then when i started to drive it home, all the gages went crazy ( oil pressure, volt meter, gas, and temp. Then my RPM's shout off and wouldnt shift. I drove home with the egine forcing itself not shifting. I got home tried to shut off and on, now wont start and makes a loud clicking sound. what happen? Does anyone know, pleasse help!! is this starter is what i have been told.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: please e-mail me

Well --- Let's see what can be done here. First things --- First -- Welcome to: Jeepz !! You mentioned that your Boss had to give you a JUMP to start your JEEP. When WE have an ISSUE like this --- ALWAYS start with the Battery. You mentioned your GAUGES went NUTS on your Dash! O.K. --- I will say it Again -- It ís pretty much a GOOD Idea to "START" with the Battery (small PUN) on ISSUES like this one. 1. PULL the Battery OUT -- Have it checked with LOAD tester -- to VERIFY Capacity ( I know it is 1 year old) Just a good idea. 2. When Battery is OUT -- Get a Battery Terminal cleaning Tool (At Autozone or Parts Store) CLEAN BOTH TERMINALS. Install TESTED Battery back in JEEP --- Install Freshly cleaned Terminals Back on your Battery. TRY it NOW. Does it Start? ANY Check Engine Lite? Check Gauge Lite? IF it happens to STILL Click when you attempt to START IT -- Check 12V signal to : Starter Solenoid ! Keep us Posted -- JB

Start, or jump the jeep, then check the voltage on the battery terminals with a volt-meter. ( you can get a cheap one from Walmart)

You should have 13.8 volts or more when the jeep is running. If not, it is your alternator.

That's what I am betting; it sounds like your alternator has gone bad.

The starter would not cause your Jeep to have problems while running.

If you've got a check engine light then I'd pull the codes using an ODBII scan tool. You may be able to rent one from the local parts store (assuming that you can't drive your Jeep). If not then you can buy them for under $30

Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN OBD-II Scan Tool: Automotive

It's very easy to pull codes, and you don't have to start the Jeep. You just plug in the tool, turn the ignition to accessory, then press "read" on your scan tool. This should give you some codes that you can post here, which should point us in the right direction.

sounds similar to problem i had as far as gages going nuts and rpms not right--turned out to be the sensor on the transmission output--cant think of the correct name at this time --however about 50 bucks at the auto store got everything right again --good luck

Any UPDATE on this one? It has been around a week --- Just wondering IF original Poster got the Problem with Jeep--Straightened out?? Hope he did! -- JB

Back