Need help with reinforcement of rear crossmember on YJ

60mg

I've been trying to prep the rear part of the frame for mounting rear bumper with a tire carrier and some more accessories. At the moment I have one with a towing hitch on it attached straight on. One day needed to transport 2 bikes and a bicycle trailer for a few miles on one of those towing hitch mounted small collapsible platforms. To make a long story short by the end of the trip that poor thing was almost touching the ground and the crossmember it was attached to was twisting like a spring under its weight. So I figured that in this condition it's most definitely not going to be capable of handling the bumper with just a tire carrier let along any more cargo.

So, in light of that I started wondering if anyone had similar issue and what's been done to fix it. Pix are greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch in advance.

I've been trying to prep the rear part of the frame for mounting rear bumper with a tire carrier and some more accessories. At the moment I have one with a towing hitch on it attached straight on. One day needed to transport 2 bikes and a bicycle trailer for a few miles on one of those towing hitch mounted small collapsible platforms. To make a long story short by the end of the trip that poor thing was almost touching the ground and the crossmember it was attached to was twisting like a spring under its weight. So I figured that in this condition it's most definitely not going to be capable of handling the bumper with just a tire carrier let along any more cargo.

So, in light of that I started wondering if anyone had similar issue and what's been done to fix it. Pix are greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch in advance.
Show some pics of your current set up.

Back