Need more room under hood.

jonsolbe

I need more room under my hood for some accessories. Is that air intake box necessary, what a space consumer! There looks to be several K&N style intakes which are smaller, but can I just cut off the intake as it crosses the engine compartment from passenger to driver side and put on a filter directly, thus eliminating all that large black hose and the intake box? Anyone done this or have any suggestions? Don't worry, I'm having a ton of fun out here in Seattle (12" snow in last week) and pulled 4 city boys from the ditch this week. I hoped Santa would bring me a stranded hummer but he hasn't delivered yet. If he does, I'll definatley post pictures! HAHAHA.

Gracius. And Merry Christmas.

PS. Here's my jeep, Rex.

Attachments

• 092.jpg
    092.jpg
    910.9 KB · Views: 151
you can cut the box out and use the existing intake pipe no problem i ve seen done and it does work the only thing you have to worry about is finding a air filter to fit the pipe. when i got my jeep it was like that and every couple days i would have to check if i still had a filter since the pipe was an odd ball size and no one carried that size filter.

best option is go with a K&N intake system or an alike brand

i have a K&N system and love it alot and you can feel and hear the diffrence

Does anyone have any pictures from under their hood? Pictures which show a re-arrangement of stock pieces to make room for aftermarket stuff? Pictures which show how you've cleaned up extra wires which all connect to the same battery?

Do the newer jeeps have a MAF sensor on there? If so you'll just have to make an adapter to tie it into the intake piping.

Usually the K&N's save a little room...but they usually come with a pretty big filter that still takes up a lot of room. And the piping usually is routed the same as the stock setup.

But x2 on loving the snow we got up here! (I'm down in Olympia). I doubt you'll find any stuck H1's though...all the ones I've seen out in the snow were doing pretty damn good! lol

Matt, let me know if you ever want to get together or swap stories, I'm just 4 miles north of Lacey and try to hit the Cabelas as often as possible! -J

Matt, let me know if you ever want to get together or swap stories, I'm just 4 miles north of Lacey and try to hit the Cabelas as often as possible! -J

Oh right on! What a small world this is haha!

I've also seen conflicting data about how to wire a dual battery. Several websites make reference to and recommend a battery isolator which charges both batteries but isolates one for accessories and keeps one for starting the jeep. I've also heard to wire the batteries in series, which uses both batteries for starting and for accessories, drawing current from both concurrently. Anyone have any thoughts on this setup?

Also, is it futile to run dual batteries with a stock alternator? Perhaps I'd be better off just keeping the stock single battery and upgrading to a larger alternator? I'm really interested to hear what kind of electrical setups you veterans are running.

Still waiting for my chance at the hummer.........

Last edited:
Back