Need YJ Pitman Arm Advice/Help and Venting about Lift

Faded

Hello, I am new here and this is my first post. I only wish I would have found you guys a week ago. Anyway, I won't waste too much time...I have one question and what is to follow is me simply venting. If you know the answer to my question I would like to thank you in advance, I will greatly appreciate your response.

Will the pitman arm from a ZJ ('93-'97 Grand C, right?) work as a dropped pitman arm for a YJ? YJ in question is a '91 4 cyl with a 3.5" lift.

Okay, now my frustrating experience. The YJ is my 17 yr old brother-in-law's. For Christmas his parents paid for a 3.5" Black Diamond lift and I offered to install it (free w/his help). So, he jumped on the horn with Quadratec and Ordered up said kit. As most of you probably already know, Superlift bought out Black Diamond and Quadratec made a deal with Supertech to liquidate all the old stock. The kit we received (which I later found out) was pieced together with original gangsta BD (Black Diamond) springs (double wrap style) and Superlift hardware (track bar brackets, bolts, etc.) Somewhere in the mix we didn’t get the rear brake line relocation bracket or the freakin’ transfer case drop kit. On top of that, the instructions were a joke. The rear springs had the wedge blocks (to correct pinion angle) mounted on backwards resulting in me installing the springs backwards. I referenced the fronts to the rears, so they went in backwards as well. The U-Bolt nuts were junks, I know they are fine thread and easy to cross thread on, but I put them all on by hand and hand torqued them only to have most of them strip out. Luckily the U-bolts were in good shape and I was able to use the stock nuts. The rear track arm bolt didn’t come with a nut, so I made a trip to the store and while I was there I scrounged up some 1.5” long 7/8” ID x 1-1/8” OD tubes to use to drop the T-Case so we could get the thing running for him. While installing these one of the bolts was rusted in so tight that it broke the head off trying to come out…

Sorry to complain, but I just had to let it go. Not sure if I’m the only one that had problems with this kit, but I thought I’d share my experiences. I called Quadratec and they didn’t seem too concerned. They said I’d have my parts “in a week or so…” and couldn’t offer up any help on the installation problems except offer Superlift’s tech number. I will give credit to Mike at Superlift’s tech department; he was a big help in resolving the installation issues. As far as Quadratec goes, well, I wasn’t impressed to say the least.

The adds for the kit states that they use softer spring rates but I don’t believe it. The thing rides like a brick. I’ll install the springs the ‘right’ way and give it a few hundred miles and see what happens. Also, the kit’s total lift was 5.25” in the front and 4” in the rear. The before measurements were taken off the old stock suspension that had 130k miles on it if that matters. I thought the backwards springs might have something to do with it, but Mike at Superlift doesn’t seem to think so. Yes, the kit was somewhat cheap ($550) and I understand that you get what you pay for, but I think you should at least get all the parts and some decent instructions.

Again, sorry to b!tch,
Andrew

Dear Faded Dear faded, You have no complant you are what you are and you aint what you aint so listen up buster and listen up good stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood, signed Dear Abby, hehehehe Sorry pal and welcome. I am just yanking your chain a bit there and useing the words of my old friend John Prine to do so. Hope it at least lightened your heart some what.

Sorry you hi with a bumb deal from the mail order gurus. I am sorry but at this time I can not tell you if the other pitman arm will work or not. If it is the same hole on both ends and the it is longer and the splind match up I would say you are good to go.

They are not real coastly, and Yes I know you allready paid for one in the kid and were swindled ut of that one but you can get another if the one you ask about does not work.

How could you tell that the springs were backwards as I have not used a black diamond lift before? As forthe ride yup it will ride stiffer no matter what lift you use as the springs have more arch. Nothing rides softer than flat lined stock yj springs.

Again sorry you are haten the lift right now but the good thing is you found a great bunch of folks here that will be more than glad to share their knowledge. And Jeepz.com has it's share. Good luck tug :wink:

i can't say much for the lift, and the install except for that it SHOULD soften up some for you... and... yeah... i believe the pitman arm from the ZJ will work for you

Tug-n-pull said:
Yes I know you allready paid for one in the kid and were swindled ut of that

Tug,

Thanks. The kit didn't come with one, but I realize the importance of having one. Most likely this piece will be coming out of my brother-in-laws already thin wallet so we're looking for the least costly option.

Tug-n-pull said:
How could you tell that the springs were backwards......
Again sorry you are haten the lift right now but the good thing is you found a great bunch of folks here that will be more than glad to share their knowledge. And Jeepz.com has it's share. Good luck tug

The springs are military style double wrapped. Acutally, they're only double wrapped at one end and 1 and 1/2 wrapped at the other. The 1-1/2 wrap needs to be bolted to the shackle and the actual double wrap to the spring eye mount on the frame. The 1/2 wrap on the 1-1/2 wrapped end sits away from the first wrap so it kinda acts like a bump stop to hit the frame when the shackle moves too much. Hard to explain without pictures, hopefully you get the idea.

As far as the lift, I don't hate it. I don't mind the stiff ride, it's just not what was advertised. :? I am hating the missing parts and incomplete instructions. I am glad to be here and hopefully I can learn more about Jeeps, Thank-you.

Snitty said:
except for that it SHOULD soften up some for you... and... yeah... i believe the pitman arm from the ZJ will work for you

Snitty,

Yea, I think over time it will gradually start to 'break-in'. You were the one that actually posted that the ZJ pitman would work, no offense but I was looking for positive confirmation. :) The local bone-yards have some sort of rape-you return policy :twisted: so if I buy it either it works or I have a new center piece to give to my wife for Christmas. :roll:

Faded,

I thought Black Diamond was still making kits, under Superlift's ownership. If this is not the case, that will be the 3rd time I've been BS'd by a Quadratec salesjerk!

TC

Twisted Copper, (BTW, I dig the name)

I am not 100% sure, but I will stand behind my claim. The 'kit' I recieved included the original BD springs, but all of the other hardware/fasteners/etc. was Superlift according the the half dozen pictures I was able to dig up and compare to. Even Mike, the Superlift Techie said that I had one of "his" hardware kits.

On the Superlift site they said they were going to blow out all of the old BD stuff, but that was put on hold because someone came a long and offered them a buy-out. Wonder who that could be? Not the largest Jeep specific mail-order company in exsistance? Naw... If you've witness corporate business before you can only guess what might be going on. I have a feeling that the Quadratec reps want to sell the 'old stock' riding it out on the BD name recognition. Hell, that's why my brother-in-law bought the BD lift, it wasn't too long ago that the BD name represented a decent kit. Quadratec buys the kits in bulk for dirt cheap giving Superlift thier money right now letting them re-invest it in the new BD name and giving them some R&D money to develop new BD components (XCL lift comes to mind). Quadratec then turns around and liquidates BD kits left and right on name regonition all while enjoying large profits from huge mark-up (I'm guessing in the 60-70% range). You didn't think they'd pass the savings on to you did you? Anyway, there is enough dirt to let me believe that this is true. Like you said, it's not the first, or even second time a Quadratec-ie tried feeding you a BS sandwich covered in special BS sauce with an extra side of BS.

Twisted,

Wish I would have known about the BDS lift, I would have considered that one. How is it treating you and what did you pay for the kit?

my sources show that the xj pitman arm will provide a 3" drop for a yj, and a zj arm will provide a 4" drop for a yj.. so yeah... you'll be best off with a zj arm

Snitty,

Thank you for the confirmation, I appreciate it. Looks like I'm off to the junkyard.

Thanks again,
Andrew

Steering shaft replacement

One more question I almost forgot about; the pinion angle shims on the rear springs need to have the thick end of the wedge toward the front of the vehicle, right?! I figured this would help rotate the rear diff pointing the pinion at the t-case instead of the ground.

Back