New 700R4 install

Utah_jeepster

Super Moderator
I recently traded work from a friend and got my hands on a rebuild-able 700R4 transmission for my jeep. Bob is a heavy wrecker transmission spc. He has done plenty of work on car and truck transmissions but has never entered the realm of rock crawler transmissions.
Right now I am considering what stall speed I should get for the torque converter, and if any one knows what line pressure B&M shift kit I should put in. I don't want a hard shift (axles) nor a soft one either (hill slippage)

Right now I an running the 4.0 6 cyl. and plan on staying with it till I need to rebuild it as a stroker. I plan on marrying the NP231 to this transmission till I have enough to buy a Atlas II, the 231 has 4:1 reduction gears and the Atlas will most likely be built with 5:1.
As most of you know I am a rock crawler and I don't do mud, this transmission will be a dual duty, a drive me there, play on the rocks and hopefully get me home afterwords.

I would not put in any shift kit, no need to waste the money. do you really need a firmer 1-2 shift? as for torque converter and stall speed, stock will/should be fine, I have two theory's or guidlines I use for optimal performance, my belief is during cruising/highway driving, you want your rpms to somewhat match your stall rating on your converter so the 2000-2400 range will be perfect, and secondly the 4.0 makes it's peak torque at a lower rpm range than say most V8's so you will benefit from a lower RPM range for crawling as well. most gm's had a converter around those numbers.

I would recomend looking at running a modified shift plate in teh shifter though. That way in a Holy S##T sincerio, you can go from drive to reverse very quickly.

If you were running a BBC, then I would say yes to the shift kit as well as going to a different torque converter with a higher rpm, but with a 4.0, even with a stroker kit, simply not needed.

Back