New jeep???

69jeepcj

I need some help from you guys.... I don't know what to do!!
I have a chance to possibly own a 2000 jeep tj, 6" bds lift on 33's. A friends brother bought it and fell in love with it but it had death wobble bad, a week later he was pulling into his driveway and someone rear ended him. didn't bend the frame but broke suspension parts, pulled the rear spring out of the bucket, Insurance fixed it, I think it got a new suspension as well. He hates it! says it handles worse than before and has bad vibrations. I have looked at the jeep and everything seems to look ok, only thing I can see that don't look right is the upper and lower arms are screwed in so they are as short as possible. If you rock the jeep side to side by hand, the rear axle actually moves front to back about a half inch. Im wondering if the shop that did the repair just don't have the suspension dialed in right.. Anyway, he is talking a straight up trade for my 69 5.

His-2000 tj
4cly
5spd
6in bds lift
33" mud
stinger front bumper
I would have to check for other options

mine 69 cj5
65 chevy 327 sb v8 (350hp)
65 M21 Muncie "CAR" 4spd
AA adapter to spicer 18 tcase
Dana41 rear 27 front 5.38 R&P
33" tires

What do you guys think?? trade or no trade??
His will need a little fixing as will mine.
Thanks for helping

Does it have the stock rear driveshaft? Chances are the driveline angles are way off. I bet you would need a SYE and a new rear driveshaft to fix the vibrations, and a new adjustable rear trackbar to fix the position of the rear axle. You will probably need bushings and a good bit of troubleshooting time to fix the death wobble

All I could think of is: You know what is wrong with yours and probably have a good idea on the cost and outcome. The other one is a gamble. Who knows what inve$tmet you may be making into a possible money pit. I'd want to go over it and know what the issues are first.

Yeah, you guys are right, It may be a money pit. I told him in the beginning it probably would need SYE for the rear vibes. Ill try to grab a few pics next time im at his house... and yes it has stock rear driveshaft. ill update asap, he just keeps mentioning this trade cuz he wants my engine and trans BADLY, so we will see how serious he is. I doubt Ill do it but man its tempting

My thoughts mirror yours on this trade . I think you would feel sorry to lose the small block as 327 engines are tough if not impossible to come by in the original casting these days. Your SB is obviously a hot set up and would be like giving up a member of the family to part with .
Your CJ as a whole is one hot ride and know that deep inside you risk feeling sorry to give it up . I can fully understand going for a TJ as it is a very desirable model but I have to say that given the facts that it needs work and only has a 2.5 liter which couldn't hold a candle to a 4.0 much less your 327 , I'd say it's not as hot a deal but I don't want to cause bad feelings with your friendship with the tj's current owner. I know the work is well within your scope but would hate to see you lose your CJ . This is just my feelings but reading your post and the fact that you asked our opinion pretty much convinces me you've got reservations about giving up a jeep that others dream of owning. I too love the TJ almost as much as a CJ but I don't think I can say " Yes ! Go for it !" I don't blame him for wanting your 327 and rock crusher Muncie but I kind of like where it is right now , in your CJ and not in some z28 or super sport Camaro . Just my thoughts.

According to Kelly blue book that tj is worth $7000 in fair condition. I would say it is actually in poor condition and worth less.

Would you sell your cj for $7000?

I vote ,no deal ! The 4cyl stears me away from it immediately.

Back