new ox l,ocker noise

marlor

I have just installed a new OX locker in my Jeep TJ. It's making a loud whining noise. Nothing is going wrong, and there is no clicking sound, but I just wanted to know if I should expect a louder noise from the rear end now that I've installed a locker. I also installed 30 spline axles

1997 jeep tj 2.5 eng.
alloy usa 30 spline axles (upgrade from 27 spline)
ox locker.

I don't think there should be any noise from the locker itself. The whining sounds like a setup problem or bearing problem. Does the noise change between acceleration and coasting?

noise goes away when power is withdrawn. Initially, there was no noise at all. then after 10 minutes of driving the noise began and started to inccrease.

I suspect there was a little shifting of the setup after power was applied and I need to pull the locker and add more shims.

As another test, I pulled the rear drive shaft and drove the vehicle using only the front drive. no noise.

Next weekend I will pull the locker and re-do the setup. or just have a shop do it if the price is reasonable. taking the snap ring off the locker is proving to be a challenge.

I took the jeep into the pros to have the carrier set. They say for $800 they'll get it all setup. I figure it's worth because the original repair estimate for my broken axle was $3700. and that was just to replace the original parts. I gutted the entire thing and put in 30 spline axles, a locker and swap from drum to disk brakes for $1700 in parts. So the extra $800 is still below the original estimate.

$800 is a bit steep for gear setup labor only. What kind of shop is this? Have you looked at 4wd shops or race shops that setup gears on a regular basis?

Re: new ox locker noise

I shopped around, $800 was the going rate. It's mountain climbing season and I need my jeep as soon as possible.

I got the jeep back. Everything is now done and I'm back on the road. Unless I get really brutal, this current setup should last another 10 years.

Back