new spark plugs/wires HELP?

whitelighter1

I have a 95 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo. v6 2wd, 4.0L. I was replacing my spark plugs, and wires. After doing so i started the jeep and noticed a misfire, or the timing being wrong. I thought i may have goofed and plugged the spark plug wires in wrong. My question is. Is the motor's timing computer controlled? If not how to rest the timing? And if the timing is computer controlled is it okay to pull plugs until i find the misfiring one?

It has a distributor so I don't think it is computer controlled. Check what order your wires are in and make sure you have the correct firing order. Also check the gap on your plugs. It should be about a .035 gap I believe.

Yes. - the. 95. Has. A. Computer. That. Controls the. Timing on the. 4L motor. It is. Callled a: ECM~ECU ! Cost. About. $150. ! OK?

Thank you for your help. I think my problem is this. I never disconnected the battery before replacing the plugs and wires. So im guessing that the computer never rest, thus not resetting the timing. ill be trying that when i get home.

If that doesn't work check to see of you cracked a plug. If a plug is installed with a spark plug socket with the rubber insert it stresses the plug. If its not tightened straight it will crack the porcelain

If that doesn't work check to see of you cracked a plug. If a plug is installed with a spark plug socket with the rubber insert it stresses the plug. If its not tightened straight it will crack the porcelain

Good advice. I would definitly recheck the firing order though especially if you pulled them all at once.

Back