new to this board... an introduction and a few questions....

LVRockCrawler

WTS: Soundbar and a set of YJ Xenon extended flares.

okay... i'm not getting into too much this first post - so far its the best board i've found....
i recently got hold of an '89 YJ 4.2 / 5-spd that i'm getting ready to lift (was psyched about the hell creek lift - went to order and they're backorded 8 wks on the springs)
I used to have a 91 Sahara w/4" Pro Comp, 32" BFG A/T's, converted AC to onboard air and so on... after i traded it in 3 yrs ago on a (gasp!) car, i finally got back to my senses and picked up this YJ.... she's sweet, red, used to be a "dingy" behind a class A motorhome - 104K on the clock but less than 30K driven... totally stock and lots of extras...
here's the plan: 4" lift, 33/12.5 BFG M/T's, same compressor setup (stock compressor, 10 gallon tank, regulator, etc...) - eventually i'll get more into the mods but the lift/tire are first...

okay... now some questions - first of all.... HOW do i get a pic in the signature??? i really want to put her out there! also - when i go to the lift/tires i want to re-gear, i was wondering, I know the 4 bangers came w/lower gears (4.11 i think...) is it easier(cheaper) to find donors to swap out or re-gear.... i'm going to do the cable actuated front axle connect (get rid of the vacuum) that i saw posted here - any feedback on that? (all the vacuum lines were eaten by an apparent battery disaster) - and since the hell-creek isnt available and i'm not a patient person (want to get back into these vegas deserts!!!) - any good suggestions on a lift? leaning towards the kit from Rusty's

sorry this was sooo long - lots to say at first - but any feedback you all could offer would really be appreciated - glad to be back in my Wrangler and cant wait to get her a little dusty in the desert...

(I also have a 74 Waggy w/401, TH400, QT thats a bit "under the weather" and at $2.10+ a gal for regular, i'm not racing to fix her yet!!)

thanks again!

first off, welcome to the board, and welcome back home :)......

secondly, you need to have an online host for your pics, make sure it fits into the size limits, and add the code for the pic in your signature. The code is
image-missing.png
with NO spaces. A good size for a sig pic is around 280 x 180 pixels.

thirdly, I have heard alot of good things about the rusty's lifts, and know that a number of people around here have them.

As far as the gearing, I will leave that to someone who has experiance with both.

Dumping the vacume lines is a GREAT move, and while you're at it, you maight as well add the thumb throttle too.

Just a couple of opinions.

thx rob - not that savvy w/the host thing but i'll try to figure it out... but what was that about a thumb throttle? (never heard of it...)

Welcome, and congrats on the getting another YJ.

I've got the Rusty's 3.5" YJ lift, it's nice. Springs are great, Rusty's hydro shocks are sweet, and you can't beat $385. It's got the 1 1/2 military wrap on the springs, so you get extra support to the main leaf and it helps fight axlewrap.

Avoid Procomp leaf spring lifts, those springs don't flex and the ES3000 shocks ride stiff. Bad combo.

Your jeep likely has 3.07 gears, so the cheapest and easiest upgrade would be to install 3.73 geared axles from a 2.5L YJ auto or 4.11 geared axles from a 2.5L YJ 5spd. 4.11 would be ideal, but 3.73 would be enough of a change to be worthwhile.

Again, welcome, you'll like it here.

Hey welcome! If ya need a pic hosted i'll help ya out..if you need a whole album or something imagestation or some other free services are out there.

Like PA said, welcome back home.

Intalled my hand throttle for $7 in bike parts. Look at a 10ci York compressor if you want good onboard air. You can get a CJ bracket that will bolt it right up to your 258.

Why a 10gal. tank? Where did you mount it?

A 10ci York puts out enough air to run an 1/2" impact without a tank.

the 10 gal tank went behind the back seat (a carry tank from home depot w/a few mods - gauge etc.... switch wired thru the regulator to the clutch - used a closed cel foam filter zip tied to the low side of the compr. w/compressor oil soak to keep her alive - worked great for 4 or 5 yrs) it would cycle between 90 and 125 psi - got it all from a local compressor shop for like 10 bucks....

well.. i'm gonna look for the 2.5 / 5spd axles - if they're not thrashed it should be a clean swap and as cheap as gear sets if i get them from a bone yard - as for the signature / pics on these posts - i give up - cant even get my profile to save my signature!!!! but i'll take pics of the buildup as it happens - and thx for all the help!

Welcom to the boards. About the lift springs for a YJ. I can only tell you that Superlift springs are pretty stiff. If you want a ride that bounces all over the place, literally, then it might be for you, if not stay away from 'em.

Welcome to the board!

Rusty's kits are very similar to Hell Creek kits in that they both use Hackethorn hardware (rough County) but use different springs. I have also heard good things about Rusty's. I just got a Hell Creek kit in the mail for my Cherokee, but have yet to receive me leaf springs. Hmmm, hope that isn't a problem because I ain't waiting 8 weeks :shock: !!! I will say that all the hardware is very good looking quality (very stout and most is powder-coated black) and all of it is stamped with "MADE IN USA". That makes me happy.

I ran 32's on the stock YJ 4:10 gears and was happy with the setup using a 4 banger. You should be ok with a 6 cyl. and 33's.

As far as the sig pic, there's some good write-ups in the "Forum-Related" forum.

Again welcome and congrats on your return to the Jeep world :D

Welcome to the board.

1 thing, A ten gallon tanks is way too big! I have about 2.5 tank and have no issue with running air tools and stuff. fills a 30 " tire from no air to 35psi in under 30 seconds. I am going to tap into my front bumper for expansion tank, but that will be strickly for Air lockers.

yea... prob wasnt a 10 gal - it was one of the portable carry tanks you get to charge w/a compressor - thinkin about goin w/air brake tanks off a diesel - if i can find a good mounting spot -

Back