New XJ, could be a problem

HiDefXJ

Hello all!! Just traded for a 00 XJ with 33" bfg's and a d30 in front d44 in rear. My issue is:
I have never rolled on 33in mud tires before are they suppose to be that loud? I can get use to it as long as that is what is causing the noise.
Ponder this though, I stopped after 20 min of driving and there was smoke coming from under the hood, I looked underneath and it appears as though (smells like) differential fluid is leaking from the front. (blew out of the diff w enough force to land on the oil pan and other hot surfaces)???????
1. Can low diff fluid cause the gear to be loud enough to mistake for "large tire hum"?
2. How can I be sure there is no damage to the gears?
3. If its just a bad seal from the RTV due to the previous owners gear swap, whats the best way to reseal this?
4. The previous owner put on a diff guard which utilizes the bottom diff cover bolts, could this cause sealing problems?

Anything you can offer up as far as suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

There should be no noise from the front diff in 2wd, unless things are seriously wrong. Usually a bearing problem or gear mesh problem will make a noise in the diff but generally only under load.

Back