No fuel gauge :(

Rod Kandel

My 79 CJ's fuel gauge doesn't work. I looked up under the back and I got a white wire running up to the tank put it isn't attached to anything and under the dash the gauge is not hooked up at all either.. any ideas?

Sent from my Ally using Jeepz

You may have a situation where the PO was trying to diagnose the gauge failure before you bought it. The white wire coming from your fuel tank sender should be white, if it's OE. This'll link to a pink wire that goes to the frame harness connector. Other white wires in the proximity of the fuel tank are for your tail lights so be careful. John Strenk has an excellent page describing diagnosis and repair of the gauge cluster fuel and temp gauges. I can't seem to find his link here on Jeepz but here's where you can link to;
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/temp-gauge-troubleshoot-1257623/

John's details expand beyond the DARS charts found in the Jeep TSM and my hat's off to him for posting his knowledge about these troublesome gauges.

Last edited:
Turbogus said:
You may have a situation where the PO was trying to diagnose the gauge failure before you bought it. The white wire coming from your fuel tank sender should be white, if it's OE. This'll link to a pink wire that goes to the frame harness connector. Other white wires in the proximity of the fuel tank are for your tail lights so be careful. John Strenk has an excellent page describing diagnosis and repair of the gauge cluster fuel and temp gauges. I can't seem to find his link here on Jeepz but here's where you can link to;

John's details expand beyond the DARS charts found in the Jeep TSM and my hat's off to him for posting his knowledge about these troublesome gauges.

Thanks TurboGus.. I plan on buying a book and even plan to buy a new harness eventually but in the mean time..

Turbogus said:

Thanks TurboGus.. I plan on buying a book and even plan to buy a new harness eventually but in the mean time it would be nice to have a gas gauge.. I'll get her all working one of these days :)

Well. I got me a service manual so I should be able to figure this out. Should have all my gauges working and everything before long..lol

In the factory TSM there's what they call DARS charts that follow a logical pattern if that's the manual you purchased that is. Hopefully you can find a resourse for O.E. parts. Mac's Jeeparts here in Oregon has been great to me for NOS stuff although I think aI remember getting my last fuel gauge from Omix ada.

Turbogus said:
In the factory TSM there's what they call DARS charts that follow a logical pattern if that's the manual you purchased that is. Hopefully you can find a resourse for O.E. parts. Mac's Jeeparts here in Oregon has been great to me for NOS stuff although I think aI remember getting my last fuel gauge from Omix ada.

Cool Thanks Gus.. It's not the greatest manual but it has wire diagrams so I am not completely in the dark.. my step dad and the owner before pulled wires off where they when and just left them dangle. And my step dad would run a toggle switch off a hot wire to make thinks work that stopped working so that is pretty much how the whole jeep was working. Toggle to the wipers, 2 switches for the lights, one for the heater but he lost the wire behind they heater. Luckily I like to wire stuff up. It is even kinda fun to try to make it work right again. Thanks for the jeep sites. I will check them out. I am also pretty lucky. There is a junk yard called Davey's Jeeps about a half hour away and on the other side of that town is 4WD Jeep parts. But always looking around for more places ;)

Back