No more module.

Red Mutt Ranch

Ok I have a 1978 cj5 with a 258 I6 (which I love, and believe to be leaps and bounds better than a v8 in any cj) AND I would like to take all of the original wiring out and replace the ignition with a pertronics distributor, coil, and holofix sensor. Getting rid of the rats nest of wiring from the factory. I am not looking at emissions I just want him to run right. Has any one done this conversion or know if this will work? I have wired up classic cars and F-16 fighters so the wiring and technical part is not a problem. I'm just wanting to see if it can or will work?

I don't know about the Pertronix set up,but I converted mine to TFI...It's the same set up that Ford used in their I6...I used a kit from AMC Ignitions in Reno Nv. www.tfikit.com
The kit included a Crane Fireball coil. The factory ignition module stayed,so I can't say you'd really be getting rid of much wiring,but I did notice an improvement with the hotter ignition.

I have a 74 waggy with a v-8 and the ignition module (aftermarket mallory) has been acting funny. My local parts guy suggested it. From what I've heard and read I'm excited to get it. And yes two wires from the distributor would be much less "nest". Ill reply again when I get it in.

I think a GM HEI ignition does away with the module.. I dont know much about the swap but sure someone else will bring it up with more detail.

The distributor out of a Chevy 250 straight six will slide right in the amc 258. Between that and converting to a delving one wire alternator I got rid of a lot of troublesome wiring and parts.

I just dropped a new hei in my 81 cj 258. Eliminated module. I spliced the plug going to the module that has two wires (red, blue) and used the red as a 12v power source. Works fine. I'm no expert but I think you have to change dist gears if you convert to gm hei. The one I bought was already set up for amc258.

The distributor out after a 250 slid right in my 73 258. I got the Chevy distributor from a guy who told me that they would swap. He could have changed gears and just didn't mention it. I've been told by a few people that it was possible

Ok so maybe I should have better prefaced my post. So I allready have a 4500 excel coil and the pertronics unit replaces the points in the distributor. (Or in my case the electronic eye from the malory system)
If you get their distributor I believe it is essentially a HEI distributor. But like I said I'm just replacing the ignition for more reliability. The pertronis system would also keep the engine compartment looking stock and uncluttered, unless of course you want to open the hood and show off the ignition system.

:shades:
I have a 74 waggy with a v-8 and the ignition module (aftermarket mallory) has been acting funny. My local parts guy suggested it. From what I've heard and read I'm excited to get it. And yes two wires from the distributor would be much less "nest". Ill reply again when I get it in.

I hae to do the timing again but she's running 110% better. So you need to know it takes a litle fine tunning. I ended up using one spacer for the end gear and one for the rotor space. From the moment I turned the key it snapped to life, AND THEN! It turned off!!! :)

So next in my sites is the choke... gas gauge...

I dont see why it wouldnt work. I wanted to rewire a jeep once and called a shop, they told me I could buy a harness kit or they could rewire it one wire at a time.
I have heard good things about the petronix ignitors systems.

Back