nutter bypass

tosucowboy

Okay, I have an '89 YJ with the 4.2 It has the TFI ignition on it and I just swapped the coil for an MSD blaster, I just put a MC 2100 on it, it had a 4 barrel holly that was f-ing up and I just need it to drive right, so a lot was removed but I'm not entirely sure what. It ran fine when I bought it but when the ICM failed and I replaced it I started having problems. The jeep has been rewired with a universal wiring harness from painless wiring this happened last winter, problem was solved for about 8 months, so like I said, I have now changed the carb, thought I had everything set, and today it doesn't want to fire, granted it is around 8 deg f outside. I want to do the nutter bypass to get rid of the computer, i'm in Ohio so I don't need to worry about smog. I saw something where the procedure for it was on this site but I can't find it. I have seen different diagrams. I know to connect the purple to purple and orange to orange from distributor to Ignition control module, but nothing ever mentions what to do with the inputs to the starter relay, or if I just get rid of that.
any help with proceedure location would be much appreciated. I am seriously frustrated here, I am already about to have to replace the flywheel...again, from haveing to crank on this thing to get it runnning.

OK....So you have basic idea for the bypass. The purple and orange coming out (or going to) the distributor are going to be spliced directly to the orange and purple going to the module. So you're bypassing the module and the computer. So since you said that your rig had a Holley, is it safe to say that the stepper motor is not hooked up on the carb? Have you adjusted your time to 8 (give or take) degs?The only other issue that you may have is routing the vaccum lines. Sorry, having problems loading diagram for vac. lines.

I have never have to do anything with the starter relay, but I have only worked with CJ's? Maybe it's specific to the YJ?

yeah I adjusted the timing about 2 months ago, its at 9 I believe, give or take. The stepper motor is not connected, I don't even have the connection for it anymore, I took it out when re-wiring the thing. I have to redo the bypass this weekend and go from their, as I recall I don't believe my negative from the coil went directly to the ICM so I will have to check that out. As for the starter relay, My chilton's shows it in the stock wiring diagram, but when I rewired it the thing I did it with a universal wiring harnes, it seemed more for an old CJ than a newer one or a YJ. Don't suppose you have an ignition and charging diagram for the CJ. That is what I am trying to get to. I don't want the ECU/ECM (what ever its called) running anything, I want my jeep nice and simple. There are also two relays on the side of the battery, any clue what those are for exactly.

Back