Odd fitting cage

Smizar

Have this cage in my 76 CJ5, it's almost like it needs to move forward about 4 inches but it's all the way up to the windshield..

image-637271171.jpg

Are the mounts in the back lifted up higher, causing the cage to angle down?

TerryMason said:
Are the mounts in the back lifted up higher, causing the cage to angle down?

Holy crap, I've been starring at this thing for almost a year and that never crossed my mind.. I guess I need to take some measurements on the rear and see if I can cut it there...I've just focused in the front and never thought about the back..

The picture looks like maybe the front mounts could be pulled a bit forward at the bottom.(they don't look parallel to the dash)

It's all welded together but I think the rear section is the original roll bar and it fits the way it's supposed to, it's the front section that was added on doesn't fit right... I was hoping I could adjust it from the rear but after I looked closer today it's all the front that needs cut and replaced..

I see no Issue with it. It's obviously a aftermarket add on. My A pillar is about that close to where the windshield would be (I don't run a windshield)

As long as there is no contact between the two, I would not let it bother me.

as for the bottom, when I built my cage, I bent just under the dash forward towards the front of the jeep go allow for more leg room getting in and out.

Simple solution would be to cut the cage just above the bottom of the dash and the cross bar from the B pillar to the a pillar. Put a small bend in the bar, then use piece to extend everything, making sure to use ID sleeves on all joints.

The only issue I have with it is getting in, when I was in my 20's it wouldn't have been a problem,lol...

Looks like the cage was designed for earlier CJ's with a more vertical windshield.

Thank Heavens I took my cage and add on the Mechanical Design (a fab shop in western Oregon) so they set it up to be flush with my dash panel and widshield. You may need to notch the bend points and weld in a wedge I'm thinking if the angle will otherwise compromise the integrity of the cage. IMHO

Best of luck!

I'm thinking I might just leave it as is and keep a eye out for one that fits right, my last CJ5 had a 4" tube cage that fit perfect and held up great when it cart wheeled down the highway....

image-2440372925.jpg

The jeep was totaled but my kid walked away from this...

Back