Oil Pressure Problems

76quadtrac

After getting off the ice last night I noticed smell of oil, I checked the gauges and the oil pressure gauge showed less than 10 lbs. of pressure. More like 4 or 5 to be exact. The factory gauge has always showed a low pressure. When we got home I crawled underneath and there is oil everywhere.
image-missing.png
It doesn't leak very much when its sitting so I am assuming that this only happens while driving? I checked the fluids and they are all ok. It looks like its comming from the front seal or the front of the oil pan. Would the oil pressure gauge show a low reading if the seal is out? How tough is it to replace seal, should oil pump be replaced also, sending unit? How spendy is this going to be?
image-missing.png
I was stuck yesterday and had to make the beast work, I am wondering if that didn' take the seal out.(yes the Jeep was stuck)Only the second time!!! Any Info on problems would be great. 1976 wagoneer w/401 Gravel Crusher[addsig]

Clean the engine bay and motor up and look for the oil leak... unless you ran over something and holed the pan, about the only thing other than the front seal would be the oil pressure sender leaking...if it's the sender leaking... replace it...chances are unless there is mechanical damage in the motor, that will also take care of the low pressure readings from the gage...if the lifters are clattering...thats a sure sign of low oil pressure too...the best thing to do to check the actual oil pressure is to hook up a mechanical gage...electrical SNAFU's can cause electric gages to read wrong.. good luck!

Dawg[addsig]

I'm not too familiar with that engine but a lot of Mopars have external oil pumps which could be the cause of low pressure if its leaking. Sorry to not be of more help.[addsig]

I think you should sell the 401 to a guy with an M715. That should take care of that pesky oil leak.[addsig]

I know of a shop that injects a liquid into your oil that shows up under blacklight. I think it was going to cost me $20-30 (as long as they didnt have to clean the underside of my ride). Under the black light the liquid they injected would show up and you would know where the leak is from. I cant imagine this is a technology unique to this shop. I would ask around and get your leak pin pointed before you go replacing every gasket.[addsig]

Definitely try a mechanical gauge to determine if you really have low pressure. A little oil (trust me I know from personal experience) makes a big mess! If your oil is not low then you probably have a fairly minor leak. With big leaks (again I know) you will notice oil droplets on the back window/tailgate/bumper as the oil dripping catches in the air flowing under the vehicle as you drive.[addsig]

HEY, ONLY1JEEP, I THINK THE 401 GRAVEL CRUSHER MIGHT HAVE A LITTLE TOO MUCH FOR THAT OLDER MODEL M715.......
image-missing.png
[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>HEY, ONLY1JEEP, I THINK THE 401 GRAVEL CRUSHER MIGHT HAVE A LITTLE TOO MUCH FOR THAT OLDER MODEL M715.......
image-missing.png
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE> Don't SHOUT! Typing in all caps is considered shouting. Have a good day!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back