Oil Pressure

faraman84

First off, I'm new to the site and wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm on my third jeep right now. I can't say it's my favorite (loved my 2000 XJ) but it'll have to do for now. I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee with 110k on the odo. It's the 4.0 I-6 and for now I'm having oil pressure issues with it I was hoping someone could help me out with.

The oil pressure was reading out at the maximum level several days ago. I took it to the shop and they said that the sensor was messing up. Today the pressure on the dash was reading about 3/4 to the max.

I bought a oil pressure switch from autozone to do the repair myself. My question is, the switch I purchased looks absolutely nothing like the whats on the side of the block. The one on the block is only slightly smaller than the oil filter, and the switch I purchased is the size of a half roll of dimes.

Am I looking at the wrong thing on the block or did I get the wrong part? Thanks

The oil pressure sending unit should screw into the side of the oil filter adapter. I usually take the part off and take it with me to match it up, or at least match it up in the parking lot of the parts house (sometimes PO's change motors and such to different year/ models). Also some manufacturers design their product slightly different than stock (look a little different). Check the plug going into the sensor and the threads as it goes into the oil filter adapter. sounds to me like you have the wrong one.

Back