Okay, How do I get this wheel off?

Rex

I got a new steering wheel for my '74 CJ5. So I go to take off the old wheel but I can't figure out how to do it. I have a conventional steering wheel puller but there is a problem. I can't find any holes anywhere for the bolts to screw into. I took off the horn button and the shaft nut but that's all there is except for the shaft and a small spring loaded button in the center of it. There are no tapped holes to screw any bolts into to remove the steering wheel. So how do I get it off? I have the puller but I haven't used it in years and the instructions are gone. What's the trick to getting these old steering wheels off? Thanks.

Is that really the way to remove the steering wheel from the older Jeeps, lube the steering column and use force on the wheel? I did try hitting the back of the wheel with a rubber mallet but it wouldn't budge and I didn't want to go caveman on it. One thing I am good at is breaking things. I guess I really want to know is if there is a specific way to get the steering wheel off or do you just have to use force and beat on it. That I can do. I just would like to know if that is the right way before I get carried away and break the steering wheel trying to get it off.

Im sure beating it with a hammer isnt the proper way to do it, but sometimes it need shocked to get off the taper.

A 3 jaw puller should be able to do the job. As you tighten the center bolt on the puller, tap it with a hammer and repeat the process till the steering wheel breaks loose.

IF you decide to muslce the steering wheel off remember the very first important tip: LEAVE the shaft nut threaded on a couple of threads. This prevents the wheel from coming into your face at mach 1, it also prevents you from falling over your seat backwards as no doubt you will end up doing it with the top off standing up with a foot on the dash to gain added leverage.

Go to Autozone...
buy wheel cover..
bring home, put on...
call it a day!

A 3 jaw puller should be able to do the job. As you tighten the center bolt on the puller, tap it with a hammer and repeat the process till the steering wheel breaks loose.

x2. Just go to Autozone or someplace that rents out tools if you don't want to buy one, and I'm sure they'd be happy to loan one to you :)

MMmmm Hhmmm, your a redneck!
Carl-1.jpg
redneck-1.gif

zsmithwesson272166-1.jpg

I did it! The old wheel is gone for good. Here's how I did it. After a lot of asking around I found a website that showed a number of different ways to remove steering wheels including a home made device made of oak. But I chose to go to Harbor Freight and buy a bearing separator. This tool clamped on the back of the steering wheel and allowed my standard wheel puller to attach to it. Once it was all connected all I did was use the puller like you would on a normal wheel and off it came, easy too. So all it took was the right tools, what a surprise. However, it was pointed out how difficult it is to remove one of these wheels. I first tried the lubrication and muscle method. I rocked it and pulled real hard on it but to no avail. I had to stop when I saw a hairline crack on one of the spokes near the hub. So as I feared my first method nearly resulted in a broken wheel. The good part is the old wheel is gone and a Grant 13" wheel is in its place. Lucky for me I have power steering. So all is well that ends well. By the way, I put on a new set of Bilstein HD shocks on the Jeep today too. I haven't had much chance to evaluate them yet but compared to the old ones these feel a lot better so far. I'll need some more time to judge how well they work in various applications. Then I will know how much I like them.

Link to site with info? Did you use a method you found there?

Did you use a method you found there?

I chose to go to Harbor Freight and buy a bearing separator. This tool clamped on the back of the steering wheel and allowed my standard wheel puller to attach to it. Once it was all connected all I did was use the puller like you would on a normal wheel and off it came, easy too.

I'm assuming that's how he did it.

Back